IN TODAY'S RADIO REPORT: "The tide goes in, the tide goes out, never a miscommunication." --- It's our special 'April Fox Day' Edition of the Green News Report! Celebrating the anti-scientists and fossil-fueled fools at Fox "News"!...
IN 'GREEN NEWS EXTRA' (see links below): Hurricanes, climate risk, and bears in the woods; MN: Soil contamination leaking toxic gases into homes; Cable news mostly ignores UN climate report; Toxic coal ash poses persistent threat to US waters; WA mudslide: emergency crews face toxic challenge; White House unveils plan to reduce methane emissions; Transparent solar panels coming to a window near you ... PLUS: Flip-floppin' Bill O'Reilly forgets he was against Tesla long before he was for it ... and much, MUCH more! ...
STORIES DISCUSSED ON TODAY'S 'GREEN NEWS REPORT'...
- UN IPCC: Climate Change Will Affect 'Nearly Every Aspect of Human Life':
- Conservative Climate Panel Warns World Faces 'Breakdown Of Food Systems' And More Violent Conflict (Climate Progress)
- UN IPCC Big Climate Report: Warming Is Big Risk For People (AP) [emphasis added]:
If you think of climate change as a hazard for some far-off polar bears years from now, you're mistaken. That's the message from top climate scientists gathering in Japan this week to assess the impact of global warming. In fact, they will say, the dangers of a warming Earth are immediate and very human.
"The polar bear is us..."
- Global warming has not stopped, will go on for centuries: WMO (Reuters)
- Earth Will Cross the Climate Danger Threshold by 2036 (Scientific American) [emphasis added]:
To my wonder, I found that for an ECS of three degrees C, our planet would cross the dangerous warming threshold of two degrees C in 2036, only 22 years from now. When I considered the lower ECS value of 2.5 degrees C, the world would cross the threshold in 2046, just 10 years later...We are well on our way to surpassing these limits.
- Big Climate Danger Could Arrive as Soon as 2036 (Scientific American)
- April Foolery Science Denial from the Fossil-Fueled Heartland Institute:
- Heartland Institute and its NIPCC report fail the credibility test (Climate Science Watch):
The discredited Heartland Institute is attempting to present its new NIPCC report, Climate Change Reconsidered, as a legitimate alternative authority to the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC). But the NIPCC report is not a credible scientific undertaking, and the Heartland Institute has no credibility, scientific or otherwise.
FoolsFox Day: Celebrating Fossil-Fueled Fox Foolery:
- VIDEO: Jon Stewart of 'The Daily Show' rips Fox News on climate change (The Daily Show):
- VIDEO: WeatherBELL Chief Forecaster Joe Bastardi Denies Basic Physics: 'CO2 Cannot Cause Global Warming' (Climate Progress):
- VIDEO: Fox News Shrugs Off Urgency Of Climate Change After Democrats' All-Nighter In The Senate (Media Matters)
- VIDEO: Fox News Claims Solar Won't Work in America Because It's Not Sunny Like Germany (Slate):
- VIDEO: Bill O'Reilly vs David Silverman - Tide Goes In, Tide Goes Out (YouTube)
- The Flip Side Of The Polar Vortex: Or, How The Right-Wing Forgets Alaska Exists (Media Matters)
- Skeptical Science: Database with FULL DEBUNKING of ALL Climate Science Denier Myths
'GREEN NEWS EXTRA' (Stuff we didn't have time for in today's audio report)...
- FLIP FLOP: Bill O'Reilly - Conservatives should root for Tesla (Salon): "We'd all be better off if cheap, clean energy becomes the norm"
- Hurricanes, Risks, and Bears in the Woods (Climate Crocks):
Let me illustrate this with a simple example. Suppose observations showed conclusively that the bear population in a particular forest had recently doubled. What would we think of someone who, knowing this, would nevertheless take no extra precautions in walking in the woods unless and until he saw a significant upward trend in the rate at which his neighbors were being mauled by bears?
- MN: Soil Contamination Leaking Toxic Gases Into Homes: (Minneapolis Star Tribune):
Discovery that contamination in soil can vaporize and seep into homes has prompted a statewide review of polluted sites.
- Cable News Winds Up Mostly Ignoring Terrifying Climate Change Report For A Full Day (Huffington Post Green)
- Toxic coal ash poses persistent threat to US waters: (Christian Science Monitor):
A recent spill of coal ash in North Carolina underscores the challenge of disposing hazardous substances captured from power plant stacks. Are we diverting air pollutants into our waterways?
- U.S. allows partial restart of Exxon pipeline a year after spill: (Reuters):
A U.S. regulator on Monday allowed Exxon Mobil Corp to restart operations on the Texas leg of its Pegasus pipeline, which spilled thousands of barrels of oil into a residential area in Arkansas last year.
- Emergency crews face toxic challenge in Washington state mudslide: (Reuters):
Recovery teams struggling through thick mud up to their armpits and heavy downpours at the site of a devastating landslide in Washington state are facing yet another challenge - an unseen and potentially more dangerous stew of toxic contaminants.
- Chemical Valley: Coal industry, politicians, and the Big Spill: (The New Yorker): Politically, coal and chemicals are sacred cows in West Virginia.
- Horseshow crabs are now in danger: (AP)
- Ocean garbage thwarts Flight 370 search: (Al Jazeera America):
Anticipation has repeatedly turned into frustration in the search for signs of Flight 370 as objects spotted from planes in a new search area west of Australia have turned out to be garbage. It's a time-wasting distraction for air and sea crews searching for debris from the Malaysia Airlines flight that vanished March 8. It also points to wider problems in the world's oceans.
- White House unveils plans to cut methane emissions: (NY Times):
The Obama administration on Friday announced a strategy to start slashing emissions of methane, a powerful greenhouse gas released by landfills, cattle, and leaks from oil and natural gas production.
- Transparent Panels Signal the Future of the Solar Industry (Triple Pundit)
- Officials Not Keeping Track of Oil Trains (Cincinnati Enquirer)
FOR MORE on Climate Science and Climate Change, go to our Green News Report: Essential Background Page
- Video Proof That Global Warming is a 'Hoax'!: NASA Temperature Data 1888-2011 (The BRAD BLOG):
- NASA climate change video: This is the U.S. in 2100 (NASA).