IN TODAY'S RADIO REPORT: GOP Leader Eric Cantor defeated by climate denier who doesn't want you to know that he's a denier (and for good reason); Australia sees hottest 2 years on record, but their Prime Minister is a global warming skeptic; Historic heat results in riots in India; PLUS: Tesla is giving away its secrets --- for free!... All that and more in today's Green News Report!
IN 'GREEN NEWS EXTRA' (see links below): "Supercritical" breakthrough for solar energy, 'like breaking the sound barrier'; Americans 2-to-1 would pay more to curb climate change; Scary hurricane record broken in Pacific; Google aims to re-invent electric utility sector; Tests prove fracking contaminated water in Texas' FDA advises pregnant women to eat fish, but avoid mercury; How El Nino 2014 will affect world weather .... PLUS: Kiriabit's president: 'it's too late for us' ... and much, MUCH more! ...
STORIES DISCUSSED ON TODAY'S 'GREEN NEWS REPORT'...
- Tesla Motors Is Giving Away Its Patents to Spark EV Revolution:
- 'All Our Patent Are Belong To You' - Tesla's Cheeky Announcement: (Tesla Motors) [emphasis added]:
If we clear a path to the creation of compelling electric vehicles, but then lay intellectual property landmines behind us to inhibit others, we are acting in a manner contrary to that goal. Tesla will not initiate patent lawsuits against anyone who, in good faith, wants to use our technology.
[I]t is impossible for Tesla to build electric cars fast enough to address the carbon crisis. By the same token, it means the market is enormous. Our true competition is not the small trickle of non-Tesla electric cars being produced, but rather the enormous flood of gasoline cars pouring out of the world’s factories every day.
- Tesla Just Gave All Its Patents Away to Competitors (Wired):
“The mission of the company is to accelerate the widespread adoption of electric cars,” explained Tesla spokesperson Simon Sproule in an interview before the patent announcement was made. “If Tesla acts as the catalyst for other manufacturers … that will have been achieved.”
[I]n order to do that on a large scale, the company needs to move past the niche markets that the Model S currently plays in. They need the public to stop thinking of them as electric cars and to start thinking of them simply as cars.
- Why Elon Musk Just Opened Tesla's Patents to His Biggest Rivals (BusinessWeek):
Musk wants to promote a more dramatic shift toward electric cars, and so he will do what he can to accelerate things. “I don’t think people quite appreciate the gravity of what is going on (in regards to global warming) or just how much inertia the climate has,” Musk said during a conference call. “We really need to do something. It would be shortsighted if we try to hold these things close to our vest.”
- Elon Musk opens up Tesla patents to kickstart electric car industry (LA Times)
- Historic Heat Wave In India Causing Unrest:
- Heatwave triggers riots in northern India (Al Jazeera) [emphasis added]:
Residents had been particularly angry about the power cuts after receiving reliable supplies through the Indian elections, which ended May 16. Since then, only some regions have been guaranteed unbroken power supplies, while others have received little to none. The High Court in the city of Allahabad is now hearing a petition alleging discrimination in power distribution, and has asked the government to explain why some regions appeared to be receiving preferential treatment.
- India’s Heat Wave Is Unbearable (Slate):
As the country tries to keep cool, the power grid is failing. Rioting protesters in the north of the country set fire to electricity substations last weekend and held power workers hostage, accusing the government of distributing scarce power resources based on political preference.
- Indian media: Power crisis amid heat wave (BBC)
- Global Warming to Triple Frequency of Drought, Floods Along Indian Ocean (Mashable)
- Climate Change May Lead to Food Shortages, Civil Conflicts, Scientists Warn (Mashable)
- Australia: Hottest 2 Years On Record:
- ‘Climate Change Is Here’: Australia Experiences Hottest Two Years Ever Recorded (Climate Progress)
- Climate Council Seasonal Update: Abnormal Autumn (Australia Climate Council)
- Australia PM Is A Denier:
- VIDEO: Tony Abbott seeks alliance to thwart President Obama on climate change policy (Sydney Morning Herald):
Tony Abbott is seeking a conservative alliance among "like-minded" countries, aiming to dismantle global moves to introduce carbon pricing, and undermine a push by US President Barack Obama to push the case for action through forums such as the G20.
- Climate change gulf looms between Barack Obama and Tony Abbott (Guardian UK)
- Why it's not just bad for the reef that Tony Abbott is out of step on climate (Guardian UK)
- PM Tony Abbott missing signs of world's switch to carbon trading, experts say (Sydney Morning Herald)
- Australian MP George Christensen Heading To Las Vegas For Heartland Institute Climate Denial Conference (DeSmogBlog)
- Eric Cantor's Winning Rival Is A Climate Change Denier:
- Why David Brat is Completely Wrong About Climate Science (Mother Jones) [emphasis added]:
At a campaign event, he repeated the myth that climate scientists used to think we're headed into a new Ice Age.
UPDATE: Yesterday, we reported that the video containing these remarks had gone private on YouTube. It is now public again.
- Poll: Americans Won't Vote For Climate Change Deniers:
- Al Gore Says 'History Will Not Be Kind' To These Politicians (Huffington Post)
- Polling Data Swinging Against Climate Denial (Climate Crocks)
- PPP Poll: Voters won’t elect climate denier in 2016, GOP stance hurts with independents [PDF] (Public Policy Polling)
- Broad Concern about Global Warming Boosts Support for New EPA Regulations (ABC News):
A new ABC News/Washington Post poll ... conducted in advance of the Obama administration’s announcement today of planned regulations to cut such pollution, finds 70 percent support for limiting emissions from existing power plants, and, more generally, for requiring states to cut the production of greenhouse gases within their borders.
'GREEN NEWS EXTRA' (Stuff we didn't have time for in today's audio report)...
- How El Niño will change the world's weather in 2014 (Guardian UK): With a 90% chance of the global weather phenomenon striking this year, impacts both devastating and beneficial will be felt from India to Peru
- Supercritical: Breakthrough for Solar With Storage (Climate Crocks) [emphasis added]:
It’s like breaking the sound barrier; this step change proves solar has the potential to compete with the peak performance capabilities of fossil fuel sources. Instead of relying on burning fossil fuels to produce supercritical steam, this breakthrough demonstrates that the power plants of the future could instead be using the free, zero emission energy of the sun to achieve the same result.
- Americans by 2 to 1 Would Pay More to Curb Climate Change (Bloomberg News)
- Hurricane Cristina Just Set A Scary Record: For the first time on record, the eastern Pacific basin has now had two Category 4 hurricanes before July. (Mother Jones)
- Google Aims To "Fundamentally Change the World of Power" (Bloomberg via Renewable Energy World) [emphasis added]:
According to sources familiar with the company, Google has set its sights on transforming the delivery of electrons. Google Inc. plans a deeper push into the $363.7 billion U.S. power-sales market by working on tools that help utilities deliver electricity to homes and businesses more efficiently, people with knowledge of the matter said. The operator of the most popular Internet-search engine is in the early stages of building software and hardware tools to manage power lines and other infrastructure, said the people, who asked not to be identified because the matter is private.
- Scientists: Tests prove fracking to blame for flaming Parker County wells (WFAA Dallas-Fort Worth)
- West Virginia Democrat Unveils Bill To Let Coal Plants Emit Unlimited Carbon Pollution (Cliamte Progress)
- Why the Barclays Downgrade of the Entire U.S. Electricity Sector Means an Upgrade for Consumers (Rocky Mountain Institute)
- FDA, EPA advise pregnant women, children to eat more low-mercury fish (Environmental Health News)
- 7 reasons to be more optimistic about climate change than Ezra Klein (Next Gen America):
I really believe that things aren’t (quite) as dire as their posts suggest. Here are 7 reasons why I’m still an optimist.
- President of Kiribati Anote Tong on climate change: "It's too late for us" on CNN's Fareed Zakaria GPS (CNN's GPS with Fareed Zakaria) [emphasis added]:
According to the science and the projections, I don't think the science - the science is telling us it is already too late for us. And so we have been asking the global community to say, OK, think about the future, the speculation of what will happen. But don't forget, those who are already affected, those for whom it is already too late, we are working together collectively with the countries in the like situation, Tuvalu, the Marshall Islands, the Maldives, where the impact of climate change is about total annihilation of our - of our nations.
- Amazon tribal chief’s SOS: the white man is destroying everything (UK Independent):
The Brazilian tribal leader who enlisted Sting to help save the Amazon rainforest has accused the developed world of being intent on “destroying everything” and urged its citizens to fundamentally change the way they think.
- VIDEO: Colbert Embraces Conservative Solution to Climate Change: 'F*ck It' (The Colbert Report)
- How to Solve Global Warming: It's the Energy Supply (Scientific American):
Restraining global warming to no more than 2 degrees Celsius will require changing how the world produces and uses energy to power its cities and factories, heats and cools buildings, as well as moves people and goods in airplanes, trains, cars, ships and trucks, according to the IPCC. Changes are required not just in technology, but also in people's behavior.
FOR MORE on Climate Science and Climate Change, go to our Green News Report: Essential Background Page
- Video Proof That Global Warming is a 'Hoax'!: NASA Temperature Data 1888-2011 (The BRAD BLOG):
- NASA climate change video: This is the U.S. in 2100 (NASA).