Guest Blogged by John Gideon of VotersUnite.org
This is a typical post-election day DVN. Lot’s of reports of failures and problems. Part of the problem with today’s technical elections is that they are “high tech” and probably too “high.” Voters don’t understand it all and election workers don’t understand even when they are supposed to have been trained. Most Election officials clearly don’t understand what is happening so they blindly take the word of the vendors. The single county with the most problems last year seems to have repeated its poor record. Marion Co (Indianapolis) Indiana has a real problem with elections administration and the machines. Atlantic Co New Jersey had machine problems and they are still not sure what happened though Sequoia did what they do well and immediately pointed the finger at the county as being the problem. Cuyahoga Co Ohio had far fewer problems than in the past but there is still an unexplained problem with their voting system. And Denver Colorado had to call in the Police Dept and SWAT members to help count a late deluge of mail-in ballots.
Also of extreme importance today is the DoJ decision to step in and attempt to usurp New York State’s right to select a voting system that meets their standards.
And late today the city of San Francisco announced that they are filing a breach of contract lawsuit against ES&S.
Tomorrow’s DVN will be sent earlier in the day due to your correspondent flying out to DC to attend a conference. DVN will go on hiatus for the weekend to be started up again on Tuesday.
But for today, all of the above stories, and the rest of today's notable voting news, are linked below...
- NAtional: What's So Special About Tuesday?
- NAtional: Election Day 'Glitches' 'Hiccups' 'Snags' and 'Snafus' Return
- NAtional: Election Day 2007: New ID Laws Disenfranchise Voters
- NAtional: The Truth About Voter Fraud
- NAtional: Scholar Traces Voting Technology Controversy to the 1890s
- CA: Humboldt County - Procedural changes lead to long night for county elections officials
- CA: San Francisco - S.F. mayoral vote count may lag
- CA: San Francisco - And the winners are ...
Waiting --- and waiting --- for the election results
- CA: San Francisco - Counting S.F. ballots will take a record amount of time
- CA: San Francisco – San Francisco Voting Machines Vendor In Breach of Contract allege City Attorney Dennis Herrera and Elections Department Diector John Arntz
- CO: Denver vote count not over yet
Sorting plagued by volume of ballots dropped off Tuesday
- CO: Denver Calls In SWAT Officers To Help Count Votes
- CO: Denver - SWAT team helped tally votes
- CO: Denver still counting votes
- CO: Weld County - As expected, turnout low at the polls
- CT: Damp Ballots Cause Minor Problems
- CT: Recounts To Be Conducted In At Least 14 Towns
- FL: Fla. asked to detail balloting procedures
- FL: Palm Beach County - Experts say PBC voting machines must be upgraded soon
- FL: Palm Beach County - Voting machines could still change
- FL: Sarasota County notes some voting glitches
- ID: Lawsuit Brought Over Electronic Voting Machines
- IN: Marion County - Some Polling Problems Continue to Haunt Clerk's Office
- IN: Marion County - At the polls: 'So much better than in May'
Issues at 83 sites didn't keep anyone from casting vote
- IN: Marion County - Thousands of votes still uncounted in Marion Co.
- IN: Tippecanoe County - Some voting glitches noted
- IN: Wayne County - Centers' convenience receives 'yea' votes
27% of registered voters, 7,438, vote in Richmond,
- MD: Maryland Voters' Council Member Choices Show Trends
Errors Are Reported at the Rockville Polls
- MI: Voter photo ID rule sparks complaints
Detroiters had problems, NAACP says; state and city officials deny that
- MS: Hinds County - Election glitches could result in challenges
- MS: Hinds County - Voters in some split precincts get wrong ballots
- MT: Mail balloting generally a success, official says
- NJ: Atlantic County – Not again: Vote glitch latest AC debacle
- NJ: Atlantic County - Countywide vote results unavailable due to problems transferring data
- NJ: Atlantic County - Cause Sought For Atlantic County, N.J., Vote Delay
- NJ: Atlantic County - Vote Machine Maker: Not Our Fault
- NJ: Mercer County - Faulty voting machines delay final Election Day tally
- NY: Feds seek to fast-track N.Y.'s voting-machine replacement
- NY: Civic Groups Blast Department of Justice Proposal to Gut Standards
for New Voting Systems
A Federal Takeover for Selecting New Voting Systems Not in Best Interest
of New York Voters, Groups say
- NY: Feds demand voting overhaul
Agency says state violating mandate to update machines
- NY: Feds weigh takeover of NY voting machine selection
- OH: Delayed vote counting in Seneca, Putnam counties completed
- OH: Ashtabula County - Coding error delays school board results
- OH: Cuyahoga County again part of voting delays around Ohio
- OH: Cuyahoga County - Ballot Counting Problems in Cuyahoga County
- OH: Cuyahoga County - We The People… still wait for Ohio Election Justice for 2004… and there is none in sight. Cuyahoga trial continued November 5, 2007
- OH: Cuyahoga County - Cuyahoga officials can't explain election delays
- OH: Cuyahoga County - Cuyahoga's electronic system falters even in low-key poll
- OH: Cuyahoga County - Cause Of Election Computer Glitch Not Yet Determined
- OH: Hamilton County - Slow vote count meant long night for Hamilton County
- PA: Blair County Reports Voting Machine Problems
- PA: Paper Ballots Delay Vote County in Lackawanna County
- PA: Lackawanna County – Paper Wait
- VA: Sluggish Reporting of Election Results Blamed on New Wireless Equipment Ban
- VA: Fairfax County - Election Results May Be Delayed in Fairfax
**"Daily Voting News" is meant as a comprehensive listing of reports each day concerning issues related to election and voting news around the country regardless of quality or political slant. Therefore, items listed in "Daily Voting News" may not reflect the opinions of VotersUnite.Org or BradBlog.Com**