Guest Blogged by John Gideon of VotersUnite.org
Just in late this afternoon, a typical-bad-news-on-a-late-Friday-after-the-news-week-is-complete, is the news that OH Secretary of State Brunner has ignored the statements of every person who spoke before the Cuyahoga County Board of Elections. She has decided that the county must change voting systems and voting system vendors before the primary election, which is March 4, with early voting beginning in a little over a month. ES&S will be given the contract.
Two more states have begun to look at the results of testing of voting systems and they are answering questions of the media. In both cases, Nevada and Louisiana election officials told the same story. Yes, they use the same machines and the machines have the same problems BUT they have administrative methods that make the findings from Ohio and Colorado inconsequential. Of course, both states have the same, or nearly the same, administrative methods as both Ohio and Colorado and the methods described in the media would not have any impact on the insecure, inaccurate and inaccessible voting systems in use.
Speaking of inaccessibility of voting systems; why has no one yet stood-up and reminded these states that their reports say the machines do not meet HAVA requirements? Why is this being ignored?
All of those stories, and many more, linked below as usual...
- NAtional: Electronic Voting Equipment Records a Vote of 'No Confidence'
- NAtional: Voting Rights Activists Win Big Cases in Florida and Arizona
- NAtional: Diebold under Justice Department scrutiny, too
- NAtional: Diebold Now Also Under DoJ Investigation as Stock Price Hits FIVE-YEAR Low!
Once-Great, Now-Disgraced American Company Also Facing SEC Probe, Lawsuits, Upcoming 2008 Election Meltdowns
- AK: Vote count for 2004 general election will stand
SYSTEM CRITICIZED: Division of Elections must pay attorney fees.
- CA: Kern County - Kern considers lawsuit against state official
- CA: Marin County - Women urge hand-count double-check of county ballots
- CA: San Diego County - Chip disappearance prompts sparks
- CA: Solano County - Kondylis wants probe of mayoral tallies
- CO: Clerks plead for all-mail vote
- CO: Party Chair Questions Coffman’s Ability to Lead Elections
- CO: Political firm boss denies any conflict
Phase Line-Coffman link prompts call for resignation
- CO: Coffman caught in conflict over lobbying firm
- CO: Arapahoe County - Doty responds to decertification of voting machine
- CO: Park County voting machines need upgrades
Machines will be ready for August primary, says Park County clerk and recorder
- CO: Pitkin County voting machines on track
Local voting machines immune to statewide security problems
- CO: Pueblo County – Editorial - Double whammy
- CO: Pueblo County - Will Pueblo have legal voting machines in time for the next election?
- CO: Weld County - Weld voting machines remain certified despite state-wide concerns
- IN: Porter County - Versau likes voting machines, not election results
- LA: Colorado voting machine decision being reviewed in La.
- MI: Feds review Warren elections
City is one of five in Michigan undergoing audit of election spending, equipment security
- MN: Instant runoff voting has its first hurdle - a lawsuit
A citizens group filed suit to stop instant runoff voting in Minneapolis. The group says the ranking system is too confusing.
- NV: I-Team: Voting Machines Used in Nevada Deemed Unreliable in Colorado
- NY: Federal Judge Sets Voting Machine Deadline
- NY: Judge Orders Voting Machine Deadline
- NY: N.Y. ordered to comply on election law
Judge gives state deadline for voting machines plan
- NY: Judge gives N.Y. 14 days to devise plan to comply with voting law
- NY: Oneida County Board of Legislators urge state to comply to voting machine updates
- OH: WHAT the HE DOUBEL HOCKEY STICKS is going on in OHIO?
- OH: Opinion - Resolve Voting Issues Quickly
- OH: Athens County - Voting machine issues to have little effect in county
- OH: Cuyahoga County - Ohio County Split on New Voting System
- OH: Cuyahoga County - Secretary of State Brunner expected to order Cuyahoga County to buy optical scanners
- OH: Cuyahoga County - Conflict in Cuyahoga
- OH: Cuyahoga County - Secretary of state breaks tie, votes to scrap Cuyahoga machines
- OH: Official To Issue Decision For BOE To Overhaul Voting System
- VA: Virginia: Election Advocates Urge New Security Measures
**"Daily Voting News" is meant as a comprehensive listing of reports each day concerning issues related to election and voting news around the country regardless of quality or political slant. Therefore, items listed in "Daily Voting News" may not reflect the opinions of VotersUnite.Org or BradBlog.Com**