Guest Blogged by John Gideon of VotersUnite.org
Two and a half years ago Sangamon County, Illinois (Springfield), purchased 930 new Populex voting machines for $1.7M. The state will not accept them for use to count vote-by-mail (absentee) ballots so the county has been hand-counting those ballots and using a machine to check the hand-count. Now Populex has said that they don’t plan on continuing the federal testing and certification process that they had begun over a year ago. The county will probably have to scrap these new machines and go elsewhere. An expensive mistake.
How can election officials in Pennsylvania find problems but not do all they can to ensure every vote is counted? There was more than one report of votes on machines that had problems but officials not being interested unless it is “necessary”.
Those stories, and more today, all linked below...
- NAtional: Is Talk of Election Day Disaster Nothing But Fearmongering? Hardly
- NAtional: Voter Suppression and the Major Parties
- NAtional: Cybercrime and Politics: The Dangers of the Internet in Elections
- NAtional: Vote-count bill's rebuff doesn't add up
- AZ: Pima County – Editorial - Public should be able to see election records
Our view: Technology shouldn't negate the people's right to check voting results
- IL: Sangamon County - Sangamon may need new voting machines
Current system not certified for mail-in
- NY: LibertyVote Leaves New York
Last of the DREs pull outs of the Empire State
- PA: Translation Poses Voting Challenges In Chinatown, Philadelphia PA
- PA: Voting in Pennsylvania
- PA: Election Protection Coalition Fields Over 1,000 Calls Reporting Scattered Problems Throughout Pennsylvania
- PA: Rumors of e-vote Fraud in Pennsylania, but Voters Like Machines
- PA: Fayette County - New paper ballots a popular choice among area voters
- PA: Lackawanna County - Ballot error confuses voters
- PA: Lackawanna and Wayne Counties - Few problems with new voting machines
- PA: Lawrence and Mercer Counties - Mostly smooth sailing at polls, election officials in 2 counties say
- PA: Luzerne County – Election Notes
- PA: Montgomery County - Request to extend voting hours denied
- PA: Montgomery and Northampton Counties - Region's Democrats crowd into polls
Even some too young to vote gather outside to cheer on favorites.
- PA: Northampton County - Voters encounter few glitches at polls
- PA: Philadelphia - Compared to Other Primary Contests, Fewer Black Voters Turn Out for Barack Obama
- TN: Davidson County - Davidson wants paper ballots
Officials urge switch now, but state says election too soon
- Canada: New Brunswick to use provincewide electronic vote tabulation
**"Daily Voting News" is meant as a comprehensive listing of reports each day concerning issues related to election and voting news around the country regardless of quality or political slant. Therefore, items listed in "Daily Voting News" may not reflect the opinions of VotersUnite.Org or BradBlog.Com**