Guest Blogged by John Gideon of VotersUnite.org
The Help America Vote Act requires states to have centralized voter registration data bases. Most of the states have successfully been able to meet this mandate. Colorado, on the other hand, has done about as well with their data base as they did recertifying voting systems; they appear to have failed. Election officials throughout the state tested the system during simulated elections. They found the system extremely slow; in fact it is so slow that many plan on using their old systems to do the actual poll data work on election day. Just a reminder that voter registration data bases are fairly new and there has been a lot of data entry. All voters need to ensure they are on the rolls, their names are spelled correctly, and that there is nothing that will keep them from being able to get ballots in November.
What is all the talk about Lake Co, Indiana, (Gary) reporting last evening’s primary results late? Now the county is promising to be quicker in reporting. They need to ensure every vote is counted and that every vote is counted correctly. The media can wait for those correct numbers. Don’t speed up just to satisfy the cable news services....
- CA: Opinion – Debra Bowen - Poll workers stand on the front lines of democracy
- CO: Colorado election clerks plan only partial use of new system
- FL: Florida 2006: Can Statistics Tell Us Who Won Congressional District-13? (pdf)
- IN and North Carolina: 866.MYVOTE1 National Election Hotline Presents A Tale of Two Counties: Lake County Indiana and Guilford County North Carolina
- IN and North Carolina: Election Protection Fields Nearly 800 Calls During North Carolina and Indiana Primary Elections
Indiana Voter ID Law Emerges as a Significant Issue; Scattered Problems Reported Throughout Both Primary States
- IN: 866.MYVOTE1 National Election Hotline Reports in Indiana Scattered Machine Problems, Some Polling Location Confusion and a Lack of Democratic Ballots in Some
- IN: Voter ID Law Consequences Mild in Ind.
- IN: Ballot shortage in Howard County
- IN: Lake County - Election officals were optimistic that vote problem were over
- IN: Lake Co. vote results criticized, explained
- IN: Lake County - History of corruption clouds primary in northern Indiana
- IN: Lake County - Late-Reporting Indiana County Vows to Fix Poll Problems Before November
- IN: La Porte County – Two NW Indiana Voting Places To Stay Open
- IN: Porter County won't have final count tonight
- KS: Voter ID passes, but veto possible
- KS: Voter ID measure sent to Sebelius
- MD: Voter registration rejections sent to 17-year-old voters
- NC: 866.MYVOTE1 National Election Hotline Reports in North Carolina Scattered Machine Problems, Questions Regarding Registration Status and the Hybrid, Closed/Open Primary, and A Responsive State Board of Elections.
- NY: New Blog Website to Keep NYers Informed on How to Prevent Stolen Elections
- NY: Storage of voting machines in question
- OK: Voter ID measure dies in Senate
- TX: Editorial - Voter ID bills are vote suppression
**"Daily Voting News" is meant as a comprehensive listing of reports each day concerning issues related to election and voting news around the country regardless of quality or political slant. Therefore, items listed in "Daily Voting News" may not reflect the opinions of VotersUnite.Org or BradBlog.Com**