Guest Blogged by John Gideon of VotersUnite.org
I’m back after a much needed rest and with a freezer re-stocked with fish. Today, in catch-up mode, I am running some of what I think are important items from the last week. In two cases these items come from VotersUnite.
One is a recount of public hearings here in Washington state with regards to an upgraded voting system to count the “Ranked Choice Voting” ballots in one county’s upcoming primary and general elections. We were very pleased with the openness and willingness of state and local election officials to work with us and listen to our concerns, and then to act on those concerns. I would also like to give a plug to a book review done by my associate, Ellen Theisen, for a book called “Cassandra, Chanting.” The book is an excellent piece of fiction and I recommend it to anyone who has any interest in elections and electronic ballots. The author is “Anonymous” but is part of the NIST team so his or her concerns should be all of our concerns. This fiction could easily be fact and we may never know it.
Also please note the call for help from Arizona. Activists there have a ton of data given to them by the courts but they need technical help wading through it.
NOTE FROM BRAD: We interrupt this DVN to note we're happy to have Big John back safely on dry land! Thought you all might enjoy you're once-yearly look at the man who makes it happen every day. Apparently his trip to Alaska wasn't just for the halibut this year. Though this year's champion catch came in at "about 121 lbs.," John tells us, making last year's King Salmon seem downright puny.
"The deckhand [in orange] is the one holding the bigger of the two fish which weighs nearly as much as he does," says Gideon the Giant. Mind you, John is, himself, about 7 foot 13 inches. Both literally, and figuratively...
...And now back to your regularly scheduled Daily Voting News...As usual, notable stories are all linked below...
- NAtional: Cassandra, Chanting: Fiction or Non-Fiction?
- AR: Failure of ES&S Touch-Screen Voting System 'Should Not Have Been Possible,' Says Arkansas Official Where Election Outcome Was Reversed
- AZ: Database Geek Wanted: Programmer Needed to Help Pima County, AZ, Election Advocates Sort Through Largest Stash of Diebold Data Ever!
- CA: Los Angeles County - What’s the matter with Los Angeles When It Comes to Elections?
- FL: Activists Target Internet Voting
- FL: Miami Dade County - Activists Fear Problems With New Election Machines
700 Tests Planned For New Machines In Miami Dade
- NJ: Editorial - Prudent jurist
- NJ: Ocean County - Official tells about voting glitch
- NJ: Union County - Missing name casts shadow on vote
Counties to be alerted about possible glitches in machines' software
- NM: Audit questions election spending
- WA: Up the Rabbit Hole: A Day of Transparent, Participatory Democracy in Washington State
**"Daily Voting News" is meant as a comprehensive listing of reports each day concerning issues related to election and voting news around the country regardless of quality or political slant. Therefore, items listed in "Daily Voting News" may not reflect the opinions of VotersUnite.Org or BradBlog.Com**