Guest Blogged by John Gideon of VotersUnite.org
If I lived in Butler Co Ohio I would be very concerned about whether my vote was going to be counted this November. If you recall Butler Co uses Diebold/Premier DREs and in the March primary and April recount over 200 votes nearly went uncounted. The cause of the problem proved to be a conflict between the voting system software and anti-virus software. Rather than take action against Diebold/Premier, as recommended by Election Integrity attorneys, the state sat back until the vendor sued them and nearly forced the state to counter-sue. But the county, and many others in the state, will be using the same voting system with the same software in November.
Diebold/Premier claims to have a software patch but also claims it will be years before they can use it because it has to have federal approval. Meanwhile, Secretary of State spokesman Kevin Kidder says, "We've never lost a vote because of the problems we cite in the counterclaim because election officials have caught them. We can't prevent it. We can only catch the problem and correct it."
As good as election officials may be they cannot and will not catch everything and when they don’t find a problem it means votes are lost or incorrectly tabulated. The solution should have been to force the counties involved to go to paper based systems. It’s too late for that now...
- Featured - OH: Butler County - Will all votes be counted in election?
- National: Coming election to test statewide voter registration databases
- National: Preparation Is Key To Election Reform
- National: Support the Troops; Prevent Them From Voting
- National: Film Review: Uncounted: The New Math of American Elections
- CO: Mail Dents Voter Turnout Election Officials See Major Shift in State Balloting
- CO: Denver - Counting pace a worry
- FL: Editorial - Vote early? Not often
- OH: Franklin County - Forget the school gym, vote in your pajamas
- PA: Bucks County - Bucks decides to alter voting districts
- TN: Dyer County - Commission waiting on software fix to certify August elections
- TX: Editorial - A lesson not learned from hanging chads of 2000
- VT: Vermont 3rd in primary vote turnout percentage
**"Daily Voting News" is meant as a comprehensive listing of reports each day concerning issues related to election and voting news around the country regardless of quality or political slant. Therefore, items listed in "Daily Voting News" may not reflect the opinions of VotersUnite.Org or BradBlog.Com**