Guest Blogged by John Gideon of VotersUnite.org
In this space in the Nov. 07 DVN I mentioned that ES&S software was responsible for flipping votes in Crawford Co Kansas. That statement was incorrect. The county did their own ballot programming for the first time. They made a mistake in ballot rotation which caused the votes for candidates to be counted for different candidates in one race. The county also did a poor job of pre-election testing which should have found their programming error.
Meanwhile responsibility for Kenton Co Kentucky’s Hart Intercivic eSlate machines and their failure to record straight-party votes in two legislative races is being revealed. The machines are purchased from and maintained by Harp Industries. Harp also does the ballot programming. Harp has admitted that they failed to properly program Kenton Co’s machines. The county has admitted that they failed to properly do pre-election testing which would have found the problem.
There is a common theme here. Ballot programming can fail and counties must do proper pre-election testing to ensure none of those failures go forward to the election. Even if a contractor or the vendor of the voting system does the programming, counties should always build their own test decks and thoroughly test the machines. ...
- National: Please Look Before Leaping Into Vote-by-Mail...
- AZ: Scores in Valley had to submit provisional vote
- AZ: Opinion - Waiting so long at polls harmful to voting process
- CO: Boulder County - Improving the count
Oklahoma, others pose solutions for a better election system in Boulder County
- CT: Republican Chair Concerned With Election Integrity
- FL: Provisional ballots counted in St. Lucie County
- FL: Wakulla County - Vote recount stokes county's suspicions
- GA: Handel seeks probe of Fulton elections office
County was slow in counting of absentee ballots
- GA: Fulton Co. Elections Officials Say Ballot Counting Finally Done
- KS: Crawford County - County officials fix old glitch, find possible new one
- KY: Company: Access codes do not identify voters [Hart Intercivic]
- KY: Blame game: It's on
Kenton Co. tries to pin down all that went wrong
- MD: Electronic voting on its way out in Maryland
- NY: Record number of voters file long list of complaints about 'Stone Age' trip to polls
- OH: Franklin County - Fewer paper votes count
Voters more likely to mess up when they don't use machines
- OH: Ohio Elections Chief Calls For Voting Summit
- OH: Marion County - Follow through if you cast a provisional ballot
- SC: Election problems; early voting
- VA: On-demand voting
It's time to join all the states that have moved beyond Election (Tues)Day
**"Daily Voting News" is meant as a comprehensive listing of reports each day concerning issues related to election and voting news around the country regardless of quality or political slant. Therefore, items listed in "Daily Voting News" may not reflect the opinions of VotersUnite.Org or BradBlog.Com**