IN TODAY'S AUDIO REPORT: The Secretary of State is working the poles --- the North and South ones, that is; rocket fuel baby formula; the Great Pacific Garbage Patch; PLUS: What to do if you break a CFL bulb.... All that and more in today's Green News Report!
Got comments, tips, hate mail, questions for our "Ask Desi" segment? Drop us a line at GreenNews@BradBlog.com or right here at the comments link below. All GNRs are always archived at GreenNews.BradBlog.com.
IN 'GREEN NEWS EXTRA' (links below): Today's Green News Climate Denialist DEBUNKER (hint: the oceans are not "cooling"); visit Glacier National Park while you still can; are creditors holding up progress on saving GM?; PLUS see what's on the table for climate and energy legislation that's about to launch a battle royale in Congress --- Get the popcorn, the drama is about to hit the fan...See below for more!
Info/links on stuff we talked about on today's episode, plus MORE green news, all follows below...
- AFP: Territorial claims, environment to dominate debate at polar summit
- An Antarctic ice shelf has disappeared: scientists
- Ice bridge holding Antarctic ice shelf cracks up
- Clinton urges controls on Antarctic tourism
Many environmental groups, the U.S. military, and energy companies looking to explore the Arctic have been pushing for ratification of the [Law of the Sea] treaty, particularly now that sea lines will be opening as soon as the next decade as the ice thins in the summer.
As the ice melts, this could also pit countries that border the Arctic Ocean against each other to claim mineral rights. The Arctic powers include the United States, Russia, Canada, Denmark and Norway.
- BACKGROUNDER: Ice Shelf Instability
- No More Glaciers in Glacier National Park by 2020?
- CDC: Rocket fuel chemical found in baby formula
- Viruses Used to Grow "Greener" Batteries
- Ask TreeHugger: Is Mercury from a Broken CFL Dangerous?
- U.S. EPA: Spills, Disposal and Site Cleanup
- Should Businesses Be Skipping CFLs For Greener LED Lighting?
'GREEN NEWS EXTRA': More green news not covered in today's audio report...
- Today’s DEBUNKER Link: Correcting the “Ocean Cooling” Myth
- Detroit's Unions Seem Ready to Deal. And the Creditors?:
In an effort to drum up sympathy, spokesmen* for these credtiors have argued that “G.M. bondholders are not a collection of Wall Street banks. Many of these bonds are owned by average citizens, who purchased them to support their own retirement and college expenses and other critical needs.”
....While it is true that there are some “retail” investors that own G.M., about 80 percent of the bonds are held by large investors and hedge funds, many of which play in distressed debt markets. Some of them would less politely be called “vultures.” Indeed, G.M. bonds have been changing hands rapidly, suggesting that some hedge funds have been plowing into them, gambling that these investments soon will be worth even more.
- The Waxman-Markey Green Jobs Bill Isn’t Perfect, But it is Absolutely Necessary:
Some are calling this the opening shot in the battle over what the United States will do about global warming. Rep. Markey, not one who is prone to understatement, told a conference call for environmental bloggers Tuesday that this is "the beginning of an incredibly intense period of political debate in our country." Speaker Pelosi amplified this sentiment, explaining that "there's an inevitability to this that everyone has to understand." [emphasis added]
- Obama climate plans face long route for passage
- California faces greater risk from global warming than previously thought: study