Welcome aboard to our new partner/affiliate: Huffington Post GREEN!
IN TODAY'S AUDIO REPORT: The electrical grid under cyber-attack; No salmon for California fishermen (again) this year; Banning black cars?; PLUS: George Will smacked down, by his own paper! .... All that and more in today's Green News Report!
IN 'GREEN NEWS EXTRA' (links below): Michelle Bachmann (R-MN), climate expert?; Looking to Australia for clues on the effects of climate change; Another salmonella nut recall --- for pistachios; Recession causes drop in gasoline use; PLUS: A breakthrough for algae biodiesel?....See below for more!
Info/links on stuff we talked about on today's episode, plus MORE green news, all follows below...
- Electricity Grid in U.S. Penetrated By Spies
- Cyberspies penetrate electrical grid: Spies from China, Russia believed to be trying to navigate electrical system
- Feds vote to halt Calif. chinook salmon fishing
- Chrysler rolls out SUV after government scolding
- Raser to unveil 100 mpg SUV at SAE World Congress in Detroit
- Black is back for California drivers (actually, it never left)
- CARB: Black paint is OK (always was)
- WaPo's Anti-Will Uprising
- New Data Show Rapid Arctic Ice Decline: Proportion of Thicker, More Persistent Winter Cover Is the Lowest on Record: [emphasis added]
The Arctic sea ice cover continues to shrink and become thinner, according to satellite measurements and other data released yesterday, providing further evidence that the region is warming more rapidly than scientists had expected.
The new evidence --- including satellite data showing that the average multiyear wintertime sea ice cover in the Arctic in 2005 and 2006 was nine feet thick, a significant decline from the 1980s --- contradicts data cited in widely circulated reports by Washington Post columnist George F. Will that sea ice in the Arctic has not significantly declined since 1979.
- To The Washington Post Editors: George Will’s ‘Arctic Climate Research Center’ Is A Right-Wing Fabrication
- Volkswagen introduces world’s most economical car
'GREEN NEWS EXTRA': More green news not covered in today's audio report...
- Bachmann: I, Too, Know More About Climate Change Than MIT Scientist:
The punch line is that one of the MIT study's authors has come forward very publicly to say just how terribly wrong this talking point is. House Republicans...respectfully disagree.
[T]his phony statistic has circulated throughout the Republican ranks for quite some time. And using a fake statistic as a standard talking point isn't too bad compared to Bachmann's other pronouncements about the dangers of re-education camps and replacing the dollar, or the people becoming slaves, or how the country is at the point of revolution. Really, this is one of her tamer moments.
- What will global warming look like? Scientists point to Australia
- Salmonella found in central Calif. pistachio plant
- Drought-weary Australia a guide to California's future?
- Researchers claim 'First economical process' for making biodiesel fuel from algae
- Californians slam brakes on gas use:
An economic meltdown may not be the preferred way to scale back California's dependence on foreign oil, but it seems to be doing the trick.
Gas consumption in California continues to fall, even with gas prices far lower than the record highs set last summer...
Unemployed people don't drive to work.