Guest Blogged by Ellen Theisen of VotersUnite.org
Mixed emotions accompanied the release of the first post-Gideon DVN - happiness to see John's important work taking some tentative new steps, sadness that he isn't here to do it. There also comes a profound realization of how much more went into the process than we ever appreciated. It feels like trying cook Grandma's signature dish based on the partial list of ingredients in collective memory. Thus, we're thankful for your encouragement and for those who surreptitiously spit their food into a napkin and convincingly said they were full but it was great.
Today's issue of the Daily Voting News contains some international flavor with thoughts on the Indian elections.
Domestically, the debate over photo ID continues in Texas and Mississippi as does the national debate on the Voting Rights Act....
- NAtional: US Supreme Court hears challenge to Voting Rights Act
- CA: State, voting machine manufacturer settle suit
- CA: Thomas Elias: May 19 vote count should be decade's most reliable
- FL: As elections supervisor, Buddy Johnson charged public for image remake
- IL: Five candidates ask for recount in St. Clair
- KS: Progress Aside, Now's Not the Time To Change Voting Act
- MS: 2 Miss. lawmakers move voter ID debate to court
- ND: Too late to challenge voter intelligence
- OH: Ohio election process works well but can be improved
- OH: Karl Rove case witness killed in plane crash, sisters want answers; Web guru was potential witness in Ohio voting fraud case
- PA: Flaw found in electronic voting machines
- TX: Key Republican’s voter-ID proposal would not take effect for four years
- TX: Anchia: Haven't given up on voter ID compromise
- TX: Smith ready to move forward with voter ID bill
- India: Our Concern Fair Polls, Not Low Percentage: EC
- India: Geetanjali Krishna: Smart voter-IDs needed
- India: Mind set: Voting is a right, a duty
- UK: Why machines are bad at counting votes
"To encourage citizen ownership of transparent, participatory democracy." The Creekside Declaration. March 22, 2008
**Articles and commentary included in "Daily Voting News" do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the editors of Daily Voting News, VotersUnite.Org, or BradBlog.Com. Articles are selected for inclusion to inform subscribers' ability to draw their own conclusions based on noteworthy and credible news, research, legislation, and debate bearing on the integrity of elections.**