Guest Blogged by Ellen Theisen of VotersUnite.org
In Pierce County, WA, indications are that Ranked Choice Voting (RCV) may be a failed experiment. 63% of the voters didn’t like it, and the auditor says scrapping it would save the county $600,000. The County Council voted to amend the county charter to repeal the mandate for RCV; the voters will make the final decision in November.
Smartmatic still hasn’t submitted its incorporation papers to the Philippines Comelec, and its local partner, TIM, has pulled out of the joint venture.
Internet voting is now being considered in Canada and Nova Scotia. Is there no end to the wack-a-mole of unobservable ballots? Prove in one place that Internet ballots are an exercise in unjustified trust, and the idea pops up its head in another.
Today's articles about the Voting Rights Act deal with how to minimize future challenges....
- National: Can the Voting Rights Act Survive Another Challenge?
- National: Fixing the Voting Rights Act
- National: Conyers abandons plan to probe ACORN
- National: Editorial: Register Everybody
- National: Record Number of People With Disabilities Voted in 2008 Election
- National: Searching for a Reliable Voting System
- CA: Secretary of State Debra Bowen Reports Record Percentage of Votes by Mail in May 19 Special Election
- FL: Florida voter law garners praise
- GA: New laws start July 1
- GA: Voting Rights Act still relevant to today’s Georgia
- IL: Attorneys lay out their arguments in the Rock Island mayoral recount
- MN: Pawlenty 'prepared' to certify Franken
- NC: Touch Screens High Rate of Unrecorded Votes for President in 2008
- NH: Court may finally set N.H. voters free
- TN: Voting machines will change again
- TX: EDITORIAL: Voter ID bill was bad idea then and now
- VA: New laws hit books Wednesday
- WA: Instant Runoff Voting too Costly - Pierce County WA Says Ditching Would Save $600,000
- Canada: Elections Canada backs online voting
- Canada: Online voting could improve dwindling turnout for federal elections: report
- India: EC had known the fundamental flaws of EVMs since 2000; not remedied
- Iran: Iran starts partial recount of disputed vote
- Nova Scotia: Byelection for Dartmouth council seat likely in September
- Philippines: Comelec to winning bidder: No papers, no deal
- Philippines: Smartmatic’s local partner withdraws
- Philippines: Automation in peril as poll partners break up
"To encourage citizen ownership of transparent, participatory democracy." The Creekside Declaration. March 22, 2008
**Articles and commentary included in "Daily Voting News" do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the editors of Daily Voting News, VotersUnite.Org, or BradBlog.Com. Articles are selected for inclusion to inform subscribers' ability to draw their own conclusions based on noteworthy and credible news, research, legislation, and debate bearing on the integrity of elections.**