READER COMMENTS ON
"'The Mendacity of Nope'"
(13 Responses so far...)
COMMENT #1 [Permalink]
karen from illinois
said on 7/28/2009 @ 10:54 am PT...
i would add to the list...what about putting justice back in the justice department?
this affects regular peoples daily lives as much or more than any subject on the list...yes we hear about the seiglemans that were screwed over but there are thousands maybe millions of regular peops being charged for silly crimes just to keep the prison industry profitable and keep regular peops out of the possible candidate pool
i asked this question in comments of the latest siegleman update and i still want to know
earnest ,please tell me more about the following statement
"Leura Canary...remains in office after Alabama Republican senators-Jeff Sessions-and-Richard Shelby-derailed the Obama administration's efforts to put a successor in place by lodging objections."
i had not heard of obama trying to replace any us attorneys....i thought he should of replaced all long ago to clean up justice department
so did obama try and replace them or no?
COMMENT #2 [Permalink]
said on 7/28/2009 @ 11:43 am PT...
Canary remains in place at this time, though public interest groups are calling for her to be removed immediately. FWIW, Bush did not replace Clinton's USA's until August of his first term, though obviously, one could argue the situation here is different and these guys should have been asked to resign at 12:01p Jan 20th, in my opinion.
As to Shelby and Sessions blocking an attempt to put someone else in, I'll let others speak to that, as I haven't been able to look into it specifically yet.
COMMENT #3 [Permalink]
said on 7/28/2009 @ 12:01 pm PT...
Brad, Shelby and Sessions did just that
COMMENT #4 [Permalink]
said on 7/28/2009 @ 12:52 pm PT...
COMMENT #5 [Permalink]
said on 7/28/2009 @ 1:05 pm PT...
COMMENT #6 [Permalink]
said on 7/28/2009 @ 1:13 pm PT...
dang, 99 - you are gonna piss off a lot of obamabots and bring out the cheerleading chorus that:
ITS ONLY BEEN 6 MONTHS
Of course, in six months, obama has managed to sell out his progressive base by:
* Advancing policy of "indefinite detention" - more accurately called "permanent incarceration", even when no proof of crime exists.
* Betraying workers by ignoring campaign pledges to renegotiate the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) and pass labor reform (the Employee Free Choice Act).
*Choosing Monsanto hacks Michael Taylor & Dennis Wolff to be in charge of food safety.
* Continuing Bush's illegal spying programs.
* Continuing torture policies.
* Despite campaign promises to the contrary, beginning to signal an intent to roll back and partially privatize Social Security and Medicare benefits.
* Escalating wars in South Asia and continuation of war crimes, crimes against humanity (depleted uranium weapons, wholesale slaughter of innocent civilians)
* Hiding behind rhetoric of withdrawl while actually maintaining and increasing war crimes in Iraq.
* Increasing funding of the military-industrial complex.
* Installing war criminal Lt. General Stanley A McChrystal, George Bush's Commanding General, Joint Special Operations Command, as Commander of U.S. Forces, stepping up wars in South Asia.
* Invoking the "state secrets" and refusing to release information or respond to lawsuits emerging from Bush era policies.
* Justifying treason, war crimes, and crimes against humanity with a faux and manufactured ""global war on terror".
* Maintaining secret prisons.
* Promoting public funds for the auto industry that will be used to cut U jobs, wages and benefits while subsidizing GM's continuing shifting of jobs overseas.
*Promoting the lie of a "jobless recovery", that somehow we have "put out the fire" even though the assault against middle class and working American jobs is increasing.
* Refusing to hold anyone in previous administration accountable for crimes, treason, war crimes, and crimes against humanity.
* Reviving military commissions and supporting indefinite detentions without due process.
* Spending trillions of federal dollars on taxpayer handouts to benefit Wall Street firms and not "main street" - directly contradicting his campaign rhetoric.
* Suppressing of U.S. torture practices.
* Sustaining Bush's abrogation of habeas corpus rights.
* Talking the only option that even he admits provides universal coverage, single payer, out of the debate.
* Watering down healthcare reform to the point where it approaches little more than public give-aways to insurance companies and providers instead of promoting universal access and cost controls.
Is anyone else afraid of what we will see if we just close our eyes and give him more time?
COMMENT #7 [Permalink]
said on 7/28/2009 @ 1:19 pm PT...
Though, with all due respect, 99 - zogby is a hack poller, consistently an outlier, and consistently always erring on the side of the repugs/neocons.
His "interactive" polls are a joke and, if you follow his polls over the years, his integrity is questionable at best.
COMMENT #8 [Permalink]
said on 7/28/2009 @ 1:56 pm PT...
Yes, I know, it was just the handiest link. There was another from a more reputable firm yesterday that had about identical results, but I don't have time to go look for it. I don't think any of the polling people are very trustworthy anymore, that it's too lucrative and safe to skew things certain ways. Exit polls are usually the only ones with good enough samples and methodology that can be checked comprehensively... assuming you can get the data before they trash it and make their results conform to outcomes, that is.
As I have said before, either I've been mowed down by a bread truck and this is a long coma nightmare, or they're spiking my coffee with LSD. Nothing is working right and everything is psychedelic.
But... I think Obummer is dropping like a stone in the people's estimation because there is very little he hasn't already betrayed us on. Sneaking back into the cities in Iraq already! The mess he inherited, he helped make, to a certain extent, and he has flunked everything but public speaking so far... and then only if you don't pay close attention to the content of his speeches.
COMMENT #9 [Permalink]
said on 7/28/2009 @ 2:31 pm PT...
obama has sold out the group that would be solidly behind him, using the excuse that he is being "bipartisan".
It is a lie and only the obamabots believe it. He is losing the chimpy voters that wanted change (and did not support mccain) and he has thrown progressives under the bus.
That doesn't leave a lot left. Of course, the repugs are self-exploding and will put up some real weirdos in 2012.
The dems won't run a real challenger.
It is time to start building a third party!
COMMENT #10 [Permalink]
said on 7/28/2009 @ 2:38 pm PT...
99 - I believe the other poll you are referring to is rasmussen - probably even a bigger polling whore than zogby.
But I agree that buyer's remorse has set in. It might be good to hold off citing polls, however, until some more come in. Yes, he is down.
The obamabots will blame those of us that expected change, but the real problem is he is a liar that has been bought and paid for by the same interests behind dur chimpfurher.
COMMENT #11 [Permalink]
said on 7/28/2009 @ 3:05 pm PT...
Well, I don't hang with Obamanians, and try very hard to ignore groupthink sites, but, truly, it's clear that the ranks of his supporters are shrinking. He's catching it from some pretty solidly Democratic Party faithful sites... as he certainly should.
If they'd polled me his ratings would have been even lower. I do still hold out a faint "hope" that vociferous objections from quarters he used to be able to rely on for support might give him the gonadal surge to cut the fascist [er, "corporatist"] crap and start doing what he was elected to do.
But that's probably going to have to wait until after WWIII.
... if there even is an after WWIII....
COMMENT #12 [Permalink]
Jon in Iowa
said on 7/28/2009 @ 9:59 pm PT...
I was amazed by people thinking Obama was pushing a progressive platform in the first place.
Now I'm even more amazed by how offended they are to find out he's a politician.
COMMENT #13 [Permalink]
said on 7/29/2009 @ 5:14 am PT...
I don't think anyone (especially here) thought obama was going to push a progressive platform. He did pander to progressives for votes and, after 8 years of dur chimpfuhrer, the proposition of john mclame was pretty scary.
The point is - on most issues, he is actually picking up exactly where dur chimpfurher left of and his carefully crafted rhetoric to build a coalition to include progressives is turning out to be a lie.
Of course, then there's the obamabots that scream he just needs more time...