IN TODAY'S AUDIO REPORT: U.S.-China summit begins today in D.C.; Arctic ice photos finally declassified... PLUS: Chicken feathers! For both biodiesel and Republican Senators... All that and more in today's Green News Report!
IN 'GREEN NEWS EXTRA' (links below): Krugman: Is the threat of speculation a reason to shun cap and trade?; Tropical deforestation and its impact on global warming; Colorado Solar Customers Fuming Over Proposed Fee... PLUS: Could algae be the solution for biodiesel?...
Info/links on those stories and all the ones we talked about on today's episode follow below...
- US, China upbeat on climate treaty: US envoy (AFP)
- WATCH President Obama's speech: A Dialogue With China
- READ: President Obama Delivers Remarks at U.S.-China Strategic and Economic Dialogue
- Obama: Cooperation with China Key to Avoid ‘Ravages’ of Climate Change (Wall St. Journal)
- Spotlight on Russia’s Role in Climate Control (Green Inc.)
- How Russia Learned To Love Global Warming (The New Republic)
- In from the cold: While the West weighs how best to mobilise against climate change, one nation looks forward to an age of defrosted prosperity (The National) [emphasis added]:
More recently, Rinat Gizatullin, a spokesman for the [Russian] Natural Resources Ministry, told the BBC: "We are not panicking. Global warming is not as catastrophic for us as it might be for some other countries. If anything, we'll be even better off. As the climate warms, more of Russia's territory will be freed up for agriculture and industry."
- OPINION: A New Strategic and Economic Dialogue with China: Few global problems can be solved by either country alone, by Sec. of State Hillary Clinton and Sec. of Treasury Timothy Geithner (Wall St. Journal)
- Revealed: the secret evidence of global warming Bush tried to hide --- Photos from US spy satellites declassified by the Obama White House provide the first graphic images of how the polar ice sheets are retreating in the summer. The effects on the world's weather, environments and wildlife could be devastating (The Guardian UK)
- More of the Arctic ice photos kept secret by the Bush Administration
- SEE for yourself: Declassified Arctic Satellite Photos from the U.S. Geological Survey’s Global Fiducials Library
- Biodiesel goes to the birds: Scientists in Nevada have found a new and environmentally friendly source of biodiesel – “chicken feather meal” (Gizmag.com)
- World will warm faster than predicted in next five years, study warns: New estimate based on the forthcoming upturn in solar activity and El Niño southern oscillation cycles is expected to silence global warming skeptics (Guardian UK)[emphasis added]:
As solar activity picks up again in the coming years, the research suggests, temperatures will shoot up at 150% of the rate predicted by the UN's Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change. Lean and Rind's research also sheds light on the extreme average temperature in 1998. The paper confirms that the temperature spike that year was caused primarily by a very strong El Niño episode. A future episode could be expected to create a spike of equivalent magnitude on top of an even higher baseline, thus shattering the 1998 record.
- WATCH: Inhofe: Oil And Gas Usage Doesn’t Create Any Pollution (Think Progress)
- El Niño, 1998, And "Global Cooling" Revisited (New Republic)
'GREEN NEWS EXTRA': More green news not covered in today's audio report... See below!
- Is the threat of speculation a reason to shun cap and trade? (Paul Krugman, NY Times)
- Special Report: A Clear Cut Crisis: : Tropical deforestation contributes more to global warming than all the vehicles on earth. Does the world have a plan to deal with it? (Washington Monthly)
- Solar Customers Fuming Over Proposed Fee (KMGH Denver)
- Q&A: Programming algae to pump out oil (New Scientist)