IN TODAY'S AUDIO REPORT: California burning; Killing wolves; Recycling the Great Pacific Garbage Patch... PLUS: A Fracture in the Clean Coal Coalition ... All that and more in today's Green News Report!
IN 'GREEN NEWS EXTRA' (links below): UN inks global treaty to fight illegal fishing; Mercury Found in Blood of One-Third of American Women; City of London Launches Green Business Guide Website; Continuing fallout from Chinese lead-poisoning scandal that hospitalized 2000 children; Heat Waves Getting Worse ... PLUS: How Much Surface Area Would It Take To Power the World With Wind and Solar?
Info/links on those stories and all the ones we talked about on today's episode follow below...
- New Evacuations Issued in 'Human-Caused' Fire (KTLA)
- Firefighters wage 5-day battle to save Mt. Wilson Observatory: In a mile-high duel, driven firefighters are determined to keep flames from the historic facility (LA Times)
- Global Boiling: Dangerous Feedback Loop Of Fire And Climate Change Nears The Tipping Point (Think Progress)
- Huge wildfire portends bad Calif. fire season (AP)
- LA County lawmaker critical of lack of TV coverage (AP)
- California’s wildfires aggravate budget woes: Two months into the fiscal year, the state has used more than half its firefighting budget. The LA flames appear to be spreading, but a week of firefighting may be starting to pay off. (Christian Science Monitor)
- Fierce California fires tear into tattered budget (Reuters)
- Engineering a Climate Solution (Green Inc.)
- ''Engineering Earth" Is Feasible (BBC)
- Wolves receive death sentence from Swiss for exceeding sheep quota: The animals are on the wrong side of a law that tolerates a certain amount of killing. (Telegraph UK)
- Idaho Resumes Hunting of Gray Wolves (NPR)
- LATE UPDATE: Hunters kill two wolves in Idaho on opening day (LA Times)
- Shifting Alliances Define Energy Debate: By Playing Both Sides On The Climate Bill, Energy Companies Muddy The Lobbying Landscape (National Journal)
- Duke Energy quits scandal-ridden American Coalition for Clean Coal Electricity (Grist.org)
- Clean Split: Duke Energy Leaves Clean-Coal Group (Wall St. Journal)
- Is Controversial Coal Lobby Front Group ACCCE On The Verge of Implosion? (DeSmogBlog)
- Project Kaisei: Capturing the Plastic Vortex
'GREEN NEWS EXTRA': More green news not covered in today's audio report... See below!
- First global illegal fishing treaty agreed: UN
- Mercury Found in Blood of One-Third of American Women (Environmental News Service)
- London Leads the Way With Green Business Website (Triple Pundit)
- More than 2000 children suffer in new China lead poisoning scandal (Times UK)
- Heat Waves Getting Worse (Live Science)
- How Much Surface Area Would It Take To Power the World With Wind and Solar? (Fast Company)