IN TODAY'S AUDIO REPORT: The planet strikes back; Mountaintop removal stalled again; San Francisco goes for scraps; Apple takes another bite out of the Chamber of Commerce... PLUS: where there’s a Will, there’s a denial ... All that and more in today's Green News Report!
IN 'GREEN NEWS EXTRA': Malawian boy uses wind to power hope, electrify village; Supreme Court rules against U.S. on offshore drilling royalties; China says rich nations need to honor climate commitments; Obama orders agencies to reduce emissions; EPA announces Toxics Reform; "Smart" Clothes Dryers could reduce electricity demand by the equivalent of 6 coal power plants ... PLUS: The Copenhagen Wrangling, Explained ....
Info/links on those stories and all the ones we talked about on today's episode follow below...
- DEADLY WORLD WEATHER:
- UN seeks $74 mln in aid for flood-hit Philippines (AFP)
- Submerged Manila faces disease threat (CNN)
- Rescuers Leave Indonesia Quake Site (NY Times)
- Typhoon heads to Japan, storm stalls over Philippines (Washington Post)
- Floods batter Andhra, Karnataka; 1.5m homeless (Times of India)
- Anger swells over slow relief in India floods (Reuters)
- Choked Floodways Feed Manila’s Typhoon Toll (NY Times)
- US troops ramp up Indonesia quake relief (AP)
- Samoa's tsunami death toll rises (BBC)
- OBAMA ADMINISTRATION PUTS THE BRAKES ON MOUNTAINTOP REMOVAL...AGAIN:
- EPA: All 79 mining permits need more review (West Virginia Gazette)
- Mountaintop Mining Impact Is Reined In (Wall St Journal)
- Big coal gone wild: The sequel (Grist)
- 130 Million Tons of Waste: Sixty Minutes Covers Coal Ash Story (Locust Fork News):
If coal ash is safe to spread under a golf course or be used in carpets, why are the residents in a Tennessee town being told to stay out of a river where the material was spilled?
- MUTINY AT THE U.S. CHAMBER OF COMMERCE
- Apple Leaves U.S. Chamber Over Its Climate Position (Washington Post)
- Apple Unplugs Itself From Chamber of Commerce (The New Republic)
- Apple Resigns From Chamber Over Climate (Green Inc.)
- CLIMATE CHANGE DENIERS STRIKE AGAIN:
- The Two Arguments Against Reducing Emissions (The New Republic)
- Memo to WashPost, George Will: Cassandra was right (Climate Progress)
- George Will's wrongheaded, debunked OP-ED: Cooling Down the Cassandras (Washington Post)
- TODAY'S CLOSING SONG: They Might Be Giants, "Science is Real"
'GREEN NEWS EXTRA': More green news not covered in today's audio report...
- Malawian boy uses wind to power hope, electrify village (CNN)
- Interior Bid for Supreme Court Hearing on $19B Royalties Case Fails (Greenwire)
- China says rich need to honor climate commitments (Reuters)
- Agencies Told To Reduce Emissions (Washington Post)
- EPA Announces Toxics Reform (Mother Jones)
- These Smart Clothes Dryers Could Reduce Electricity Demand by the Equivalent of 6 Coal Power Plants (Treehugger)
- The Copenhagen Wrangling, Explained (The New Republic)