IN TODAY'S AUDIO REPORT: The clock is running out on the road to Copenhagen; Oil company slapped with record fine; Another toxic Chinese import? ... PLUS: Republicans offer a ruse to stall climate legislation ... All that and more in today's Green News Report!
IN 'GREEN NEWS EXTRA': Ski area joins fight against global warming; "Panic at 2 a.m.": The Search For Multi-year Arctic Ice; Deforestation sped demise of Nasca in Peru; China gets big stake in West Texas wind farm; Making Solar Power Mobile Power; Turning Algae Into Bioplastic Could Slash Petroleum Use by 50% ... PLUS: RFK, Jr. to Big Carbon: Your Day is Over ....
Info/links on those stories and all the ones we talked about on today's episode follow below...
- The Last Round on the Long Road to Copenhagen:
- Climate negotiators grow impatient at lack of leadership from America:
UN and EU pile pressure on US to set ambitious carbon cuts and timetables to improve chances of deal at Copenhagen (Guardian UK)
- TckTckTck welcomes negotiators to Barcelona climate talks with a wake up call (TckTckTck.org):
- Africa walks out on climate talks in Barcelona, citing lack of commitment from West (Grist)
- German leader likens the struggle against global warming to the Berlin Wall (AFP)
The German leader reiterated Western nations’ stance that any new climate treaty needed commitments from fast-growing emerging economies such as China and India.
“But I’m convinced that once we in Europe and America show ourselves ready to adopt binding agreements, we will also be able to persuade China and India to join in,” she said. “Then in Copenhagen we shall be able to overcome this wall separating the present and future in the interest of our children and grandchildren, and in the interest of sustainable development all over the world.”
- Sealing climate treaty 'impossible': UN (AFP)
- Report: Reducing Emissions Growth in Emerging Economies Could Be Cheap (Green Inc.)
- Are Meetings in Barcelona and Copenhagen ‘Make or Break’ for Climate? (Green Inc.)
- Record Fine in Texas Oil Refinery Explosion:
- Another Toxic Chinese Import?:
- Chinese Drywall Found to Differ Chemically (NY Times)
- Chinese drywall found to emit gas: US investigators find elevated sulfur emissions from Chinese drywall, but stop short of linking the building material to ailments cited by many of the 1,900 homeowners who filed complaints. (Boston Globe)
- Insurers dropping Chinese drywall policies: Thousands of homeowners nationwide are finding their hopes dashed (AP)
- Chinese-made drywall ruining homes, owners say (CNN)
- Senate Republicans Stall Climate Legislation:
- GOP Boycotts Climate Markup, Boxer Moves Ahead Anyway (The New Republic)
- Inhofe Orchestrates Shameless Boycott Of Clean Energy Jobs Act (Wonk Room)
- Boxer Invites EPA In for Questions About Climate Bill (ClimateWire)
- Climate bill faces hurdles in Senate: Democrats deeply split; Deal on nuclear plants offered to court Republicans (Washington Post)
- Sen. George Voinovich (R-OH) blocks EPA nomination over climate change bill analysis (Cleveland Plain Dealer)
- Republicans threaten to boycott Kerry-Boxer markup over substanceless procedural complaint (Grist)
- Ski area joins fight against global warming: Kirkwood as alternative energy lab (Sacramento Bee)
- Panic at 2 a.m. — the search for multiyear Arctic ice (Reuters)
- Deforestation sped demise of Nasca in Peru: study (Reuters)
- China gets big stake in West Texas wind farm (Lubbock Online)
- Making Solar Power Mobile Power (Green Inc.)
- Turning Algae Into Bioplastic Could Slash Petroleum Use by 50% (Environmental News Network)
- RFK, Jr. to Big Carbon: Your Day is Over (Mother Jones)
- At Solar Conference, Robert F. Kennedy Jr. Sees Tide Turning For Clean Energy (Green Inc.)
'GREEN NEWS EXTRA': More green news not covered in today's audio report...