IN TODAY'S AUDIO REPORT: Obama in China with Hu... (and how and when); Decelerating on the Road to Copenhagen; Dirty Diaper Power! ... PLUS: Are your balls a danger to the environment? ... All that and more in today's Green News Report!
IN 'GREEN NEWS EXTRA': Minnesota Governor backtracks on climate change; Texas plant exceeds new limit on lead levels; No ‘Choice of Evils’ Defense in Oil Lease Case, Judge Rules; Nanosilver in consumer products is no silver lining for fish; Group Warns of Failing Effort to Manage Tuna and Sharks; Pesticide-Soaked 'Wallpaper' Cuts Malaria Exposure, Safer Than Spraying ...PLUS: Cap-And-Trade: Is Europe Really On Track To Meet Its Kyoto Goals?....
Info/links on those stories and all the ones we talked about on today's episode follow below...
- Obama in China for Asia Economic Summit:
- Obama says world urgently watching US-China talks (AP)
- World Leaders Punt on Climate Pact (Kate Sheppard, Mother Jones)
- It ain't over yet: Rumors of Copenhagen’s demise have been greatly exaggerated (Grist)
- Leaders Will Delay Deal on Climate Change (NY Times)
- Delaying an international climate treaty: not as bad as it looks? (Grist)
- Obama Hobbled in Fight Against Global Warming (NY Times)
- Text of Obama's town hall --- in China (Not a word on healthcare) (LA Times)
- U.S., China vow action on climate change (CNN) [emphasis added]:
Instead of reaching a final deal in Copenhagen, a strategy dubbed "one agreement, two steps" was unveiled at the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation forum summit over the weekend in Singapore. The aim is to produce a pact over a longer period.
The first step would be to have all 191 countries involved in the Copenhagen summit signing on to a framework that includes key ingredients, such as how to finance the coordinated effort to battle climate change. The second step, a binding deal on cutting carbon emissions, would be hashed out in further negotiations.
- China, US agree transition to green, low-carbon economy essential (China Global Times)
- US and China Strike a Deal On Renewable Energy Information Sharing (Treehugger)
- WATCH IT: Obama-Hu Joint Press Conference (C-SPAN)
- APEC leaders douse hopes on climate pact (AFP)
- Obama calls for climate pact with 'immediate' effect (AFP)
- Africa agrees on secret climate damages demand: African leaders agreed on Tuesday on how much cash to demand from the rich world to compensate for the impact of climate change on the continent but kept the figure secret ahead of next month's Copenhagen talks. (Reuters)
- APEC Concedes Copenhagen Climate Treaty Out of Reach (Bloomberg)
- U.S.-China Clean Energy Announcements (White House)
- Dirty Diaper Power!:
- New Recycling Plant to be Powered 100% by Dirty Diapers (Treehugger)
- Baby Power! U.K. Companies Convert Diapers to Energy (Clean Technica)
- A Brief History of the Disposable Diaper (Mother Jones)
- Are Golf Balls a Danger to the Environment?:
- Golf balls: An environmental hazard? (Golf Digest)
- Golf balls: 'Humanity's signature litter' (CNN):
It seems the simple plastic golf ball is increasingly becoming a major litter problem.
The scale of the dilemma was underlined recently in Scotland, where scientists --- who scoured the watery depths in a submarine hoping to discover evidence of the prehistoric Loch Ness monster --- were surprised to find hundreds of thousands of golf balls lining the bed of the loch.
- Biodegradable Golf Balls and Tees Offer Best Options (Green Woman)
- America's 18,000 Golf Courses Are Devastating the Environment (Organic Consumer)
- Search for Loch Ness Monster nets 100,000 golf balls: Scottish scientists searching for evidence of Nessie find a bevy of golf balls at the bottom of the famous lake. (Mother Nature News)
'GREEN NEWS EXTRA': More green news not covered in today's audio report...
- Pawlenty Completes Science-Denying Metamorphosis, Now Refutes That Human Activity Causes Climate Change (Think Progress)
- Frisco, TX plant exceeds new limit on lead levels (Dallas Morning News)
- No Tuna Surprise: International Group Fails to Agree on Limits to Save Bluefin From Extinction (Dot Earth)
- Group Warns of Failing Effort to Manage Tuna and Sharks (Dot Earth)
- No ‘Choice of Evils’ Defense in Oil Lease Case, Judge Rules (NY Times)
- Nanosilver in consumer products: No silver lining for fish (Environmental Health News)
- Pesticide-Soaked 'Wallpaper' Cuts Malaria Exposure, Safer Than Spraying (Treehugger)
- Cap-And-Trade: Is Europe Really On Track To Meet Its Kyoto Goals (The New Republic)