IN TODAY'S AUDIO REPORT: Your weather says cold, but your climate (and NASA) says HOT; Oil, oil, toil and more trouble; Plastic bag taxes --- do they work? ... PLUS: The Big Murkowski: Will Alaska's Senator block the EPA from enforcing the Clean Air Act? ... All that and more in today's Green News Report!
IN 'GREEN NEWS EXTRA': Debating coal with RFK, Jr.; Coal industry: adapt or die; Climate change denier George Will steps in it again; Cancun to host climate talks; Walmar, Dell, et al form Sustainability Consortium; Monsanto monopoly; GMO corn and soy linked to organ failure; Energy Star smacks LG refrigerators; Just don't call it a 'tax' .... PLUS: Smacking down GOP Pollster Frank Luntz's polls....
Info/links on those stories and all the ones we talked about on today's episode follow below...
- Haiti still needs YOU to TAKE ACTION: Building a Better, Stronger Haiti (Planet Green):
- Past Decade Warmest on Record, NASA Data Shows (NY Times)
- Cavuto's flawed "global warming alert": "It is freezing across the entire globe" (Media Matters)
- Oil Spill Hits Texas Port: Cleanup Under Way After Worst Incident in State in More Than Two Decades (Wall St. Journal)
- THIS JUST IN: 220,000 gallons evaporated, dispersed in oil spill (AP)
- Why D.C.'s Skimpy Bag Tax Works So Well (The New Republic)
- Global warming opens up Arctic for undersea cable (AP)
- Arctic Tundra is Being Lost as Far North Quickly Warms: The treeless ecosystem of mosses, lichens, and berry plants is giving way to shrub land and boreal forest. As scientists study the transformation, they are discovering that major warming-related events, including fires and the collapse of slopes due to melting permafrost, are leading to the loss of tundra in the Arctic. (Yale 360)
- EPA believes Chevron was aware of violation: COOK INLET: Company says it's working with investigators. (Anchorage Daily News)
- Clean Air battle: Murkowski takes EPA fight to Senate floor (McClatchy DC)
- After hottest decade in history, senators attempt to outlaw science of global warming. (Think Progress)
- Are The Senate Climate Talks Leading Anywhere? (The New Republic)
- The New Storm Brewing On the Climate Front: With the cap and trade bill stalled, its foes move to block the Environmental Protection Agency from tackling greenhouse gases. (Mother Jones)
- The Big Murkowski: Hanging EPA regulations around Democrats’ necks (Grist)
'GREEN NEWS EXTRA': More green news not covered in today's audio report...
- Blankenship, Kennedy debate coal's future (West Virginia Gazette)
- Memo to Coal States: Adapt or Die (Mother Jones)
- George Will's torrent of global warming misinformation continues with distortion of glacier data (Media Matters for America)
- Cancun to host climate talks (Washington Post)
- Walmart, Dell, HP, Best Buy, Intel, and Toshiba Launch Sustainability Consortium for Electronics (Treehugger)
- Fun with Monsanto!:
- Monsanto Squeezes Out Seed Business Competition, AP Investigation Finds (Huffington Post Green)
- Monsanto GM Corn Causing Organ Failure In Rats Study: Everything You Need To Know (Huffington Post Green)
- Energy Star Steps Up: LG Refrigerators Put Federal Oversight to the Test (SolveClimate)
- Just Don't Call it a Carbon Tax (Mother Jones)
- Be Sure to Read the Comments!:
Word Doctor Frank Luntz Kills Patient, Reporters Cheer Successful Outcome (Osha Gray Davidson, True/Slant):If you wonder why the MSM is in such trouble, check out this lede: “Most Americans want the jobs and clean energy that Democratic-backed climate-change legislation could help bring but it backers are presenting the wrong messages, according to a prominent U.S. pollster.”
His peers at the National Council on Public Polls (NCPP) gave Luntz a very public slap-down specifically for trying to palm-off his focus group results as unbiased.