IN TODAY'S AUDIO REPORT: 'Snowpocalypse' in Washington, D.C., but snow-less in Vancouver for the Winter Olympics; Toyota recalls some Priuses (Prius's? Priusi?); The Green Police hit the SuperBowl! ... PLUS: Sarah Palin speaks Nookyular Tea Party-eese ... All that and more in today's Green News Report!
IN 'GREEN NEWS EXTRA': Obama Admin. drops 'animal tracking' for food safety; Welcome to the new Climate.gov; Australia's drought worst in 750 years; California sued over fuel standards; Halting California's global warming law; Chicago pollution mostly from traffic; Ford introduces Electric Taxi; Bark beetle song may save trees ... PLUS: NO, really?!?: Think-Tanks Take Oil Money and Use It To Fund Climate Deniers...
Info/links on those stories and all the ones we talked about on today's episode follow below...
- Toyota Recalls Some Prius Models:
- 'Sno-mageddon' in D.C....
- Top Ten Record D.C. Snowstorms: Powerful Nor'easter poised to pound Washington D.C. with 2 feet of snow (Weather Underground)
- Daschle rescued by local FOX News affiliate in DC snowstorm (Christian Science Monitor)
- Mid-Atlantic braces for second snowstorm (USA Today)
- ...But Snow-less in Vancouver, B.C.:
- STILL no snow in Vancouver for Winter Olympics... as 'Snowmageddon' brings chaos to U.S. East Coast (Daily Mail, UK)
- Global warming an Olympic worry, says IOC's Rogge: Global warming is starting to worry the International Olympic Committee, with concern mounting over how it might affect future Games. (AFP)
- Global warming a threat for the Olympics? (Orange County Register)
- Snow: Vancouver’s Last Piece of the Puzzle (Wall St. Journal)
- Truckloads of snow dumped on melting Vancouver mountain (Reuters)
- Lack of snow causing Olympic headache (ESPN)
- Virginia GOP: It Snows in Winter, So There's No Global Warming!:
- Virginia GOP Uses Blizzard to Spread Climate Lies: The Virginia GOP sees a blizzard as the perfect time to start the mid-term elections battle with lies and opportunism (Mother Jones)
- Virginia GOP Mocks Epic Snow Storm As ‘12 Inches Of Global Warming’ (Think Progress)
- Virginia GOP: Tell Cap-And-Trade Dems How Much 'Global Warming' You Get This Weekend! (VIDEO) (Talking Points Memo)
- WATCH: 12 Inches of Global Warming (VA GOP)
- Gas Plant Explosion Kills 5, Injures 12 in CT:
- Fire marshal says O&G at center of gas plant explosion probe (Litchfield, CT Register Citizen)
- Inquiry begins in deadly power plant blast (CNN)
- Explosion Unlikely to Slow Gas Plant Development (NY Times)
- Audi's 'Green Police' Superbowl Ad:
- The unheralded significance of the Audi ‘green police’ ad (Grist)
- WATCH: Audi's 2010 Green Car Superbowl Commercial (YouTube):
- In Super Bowl Commercials, the Nostalgia Bowl (NY Times)
- "The emasculated male in tough economic times": Super Bowl ads: Men without pants (CNN)
- 2010 SuperBowl Ads: Audi Green Police Is As Green as it Gets? (Triple Pundit)
- The Most Environmentally Unfriendly Super Bowl Ad (Get Energy Smart Now blog)
- Sarah Palin Talks Tea Party, Energy Policy:
- WATCH: Tea Party tirade: Palin bashes ‘cap and tax’ and commends Obama on nuclear (Grist) [emphasis added]:
And to create jobs, Washington should jump-start energy projects. I said it during the campaign and I’ll say it now: We need an all-of-the-above approach to energy policy. That means proven, conventional resource development and support for nuclear power. And I was thankful that the president at least mentioned nuclear power in the State of the Union.
But again, we need more than words, we need a plan to turn that goal into a reality, and that way we can pave the way for projects that will create jobs, those are real job-creators, and deliver carbon-free energy.
And while we’re at it, let’s expedite the regulatory and permitting and legal processes for on- and offshore drilling. Instead of paying billions of dollars, hundreds of billions of dollars that now are being sent to foreign regimes, we should be drilling here and drilling now instead of relying on them to develop their resources for us.
So what we’ve got to do is axe that plan for cap-and-tax, that policy that’s going to kill jobs and that’s going to pass the burden of paying for it onto our working families.
- Quick Fact: Palin repeats falsehood that Alaska produces "20 percent of the U.S. domestic supply of energy" (Media Matters)
'GREEN NEWS EXTRA': More green news not covered in today's audio report...
- Food Safety: U.S.D.A. Plans to Drop Program to Trace Livestock (NY Times)
- Welcome to Climate.gov (Mother Jones)
- New federal climate change agency forming: Obama administration to set up new agency to study, monitor climate change (AP)
- NOAA Climate Services: Climate.gov (National Oceanographic and Atmospheric Administration)
- West Australia drought 'could be worst for 750 years' (Water Today Australia)
- Oil refiners and truckers target California's global warming initiative (LA Times)
- Trucking and Oil Industries Protest Fuel Mandate in California (Green Inc.)
- Effort underway to suspend California's global-warming law: Conservatives propose an initiative that would delay curbs on greenhouse gas emissions until the state's unemployment rate drops to 5.5%, a level not seen since 2007. (LA Times)
- Traffic is the biggest contributor to the Chicago region's air pollution (Chicago Daily Herald)
- The Electric Taxi, Courtesy of Ford: It only has a range of 80 miles, but that could be enough for fleet buyers. (GreenTech Media)
- Bark beetles' song could save forests
Study suggests tree-eating insects deterred by their own calls (AZ Central)
- How corporations secretly move millions to fund political ads (Raw Story)
- Think-Tanks Take Oil Money and Use It To Fund Climate Deniers (Independent UK)