IN TODAY'S AUDIO REPORT: ExxonMobil - still funding climate deniers; Haiti - still devastated; Valentine's Day - make it green! ... PLUS: An inconvenient snowstorm? Fox "News" unglued and uninformed ... All that and more in today's Green News Report!
IN 'GREEN NEWS EXTRA': Oceans reveal impacts of climate change; EPA reveals danger potential at coal ash ponds; India puts hold on 1st GM food crop due to safety; Reforms urged for U.N. climate panel; Homeowners sue company over cancer cluster; New push for crackdown on crooked oil; Making portable solar power; How our food system is destroying the nation’s most important fishery ... PLUS: Cheaponomics: How much do things really cost?...
Info/links on those stories and all the ones we talked about on today's episode follow below...
- HAITI --- One Month Into Disaster, Haiti Still Needs Your Help:
- Portlight Disaster Relief: Your donations at work in Haiti (Weather Underground):
The makeshift hospital at University Quisqeya (our staging area) is serving 300 people a day. The only suppliues and equipment they have access to are those provided by us and a few other small NGO's. They have received no assistance from any governmental or large institutional relief organization or entity. Surgeries are being performed without anesthesia. Children are getting sick...and beginning to die...for lack of medicines. We are going to spend next week focusing on trying to facilitate the delivery of some specific medicines they are asking for.
- Life on the Ground With Doctors Without Borders in Haiti (Tonic.com)
- DONATE: Doctors Without Borders/Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) (MSF USA)
- DONATE: Architecture for Humanity: Haiti Quake: A Plan for Reconstruction
- Brain Freeze: Snowpocalypse Means Global Warming is a HOAX!!!! Says Fox News Brain Trust:
- Brain Freeze: Conservative media still using winter weather to attack global warming (Media Matters)
- "Unusally Large Snowstorm" (The Daily Show with Jon Stewart):
- Climate-change legislation buried under record snowfall in capital (The Hill)
- ExxonMobil STILL Funding Climate Denier Groups After All:
- Think-Tanks Take Oil Money and Use It To Fund Climate Deniers (Independent UK)
- Exxon Still Sponsoring Deniers (Mother Jones)
- Exxon and the Climate Fight (Dot Earth)
- How corporations secretly move millions to fund political ads (Raw Story)
- Report: Exxon Still Orchestrating Campaign to "Undermine Public Acceptance of Global Warming" (Treehugger)
- FLASHBACK: Exxon Turns Off Disinformation Tap (Treehugger)
- Climate and Energy Issues Send Hordes to K Street (ClimateWire)
- Foreign Oil Lobbyists Mobilize to Protect Newfound Ability to Influence US Elections (Treehugger)
- Signs of Damage to Public Trust in Climate Findings (Dot Earth)
- Public Cool on Warming (Mother Jones)
- Have a Greener Valentine's Day!:
- Have the best green Valentine’s Day ever! (Bliss Tree.com)
- Skip the red and pink and go green for Valentine's Day: Why not spend that hard-earned cash on something that will remind your loved one over and over how much you care? (OregonLive.com)
- Have a Green Valentine’s Day (Wellsphere)
- 10 Date and Gift Ideas for a Green Valentine's Day: Celebrate the holiday of love by showing some love for the earth. From organic flowers and chocolates to romantic evenings at home (Natural Home Magazine)
- I Heart You Forever - Making Valentines That Last: These double-duty DIY Valentine projects say "I Love You" with sustainable love. (Planet Green)
- How To Have A Green Valentine’s Day (Greenest Dollar):
Valentine’s Day is even more wasteful than I used to think. To prove my point, here are some fast facts from the U.S. Census Bureau:
* Each year, 180 million Valentine’s Day cards are exchanged in the U.S. And, this number excludes cards exchanged in classrooms between children.
* 65% of American households typically participate in Valentine’s Day by exchanging cards, going out on a date, or buying a gift such as chocolates, a plush toy, flowers, or jewelry.
* Over 36 million boxes of chocolate are sold each year.
Just think, for a moment, about all the crap that’s produced for this holiday.
- New Movie 'Valentine's Day' is the 'Greenest' Film Set Yet: Most notable, however, were the lengths to which producers went to reduce their carbon footprint through extensive use of solar-powered and biodiesel generators, reusable water bottles, hybrid vehicles, and composting of food waste, among other steps. Warner Bros. is even creating a video documenting the practices. (LA Times)
- Haiti Raises Earthquake's Death Toll To 230,000: Toll on par with 2004 Asian tsunami (Talking Points Memo)
|The Daily Show With Jon Stewart||Mon - Thurs 11p / 10c|
|Unusually Large Snowstorm|
'GREEN NEWS EXTRA': More green news not covered in today's audio report...
- Oceans Reveal Further Impacts of Climate Change: The increasing acidity of the world's oceans --- and that acidity's growing threat to marine species --- are definitive proof that the atmospheric carbon dioxide that is causing climate change is also negatively affecting the marine environment. (Science Daily)
- EPA Reveals High Hazard Potential at More Coal Ash Ponds (Environmental News Service)
- India Puts Hold on First GMO Crop Due to Safety Concerns (BBC)
- U.N. climate panel reforms urged to boost trust (Reuters)
- Homeowners' suit blames Pratt & Whitney for Acreage cancer cluster (Palm Beach post)
- The (Dead) Zone Diet: How our food system is destroying the nation’s most important fishery (Grist)
- New Push for Crooked Oil Crackdown (Mother Jones)
- Making Solar Power Portable (NY Times)
- Cheaponomics: a top ten list of things that aren't as cheap as you think
- Cheaponomics 101: The hidden costs and benefits of things we take for granted (Grist)