IN TODAY'S RADIO REPORT: World Water Day; Remembering a champion of conservation; Record Canadian winter, record Beijing dust storm; No ban for the Bluefin Tuna (Sorry, Charlie!)... PLUS: The U.S. Chamber of Commerce grows its own astroturf group!... All that and more in today's Green News Report!
IN 'GREEN NEWS EXTRA': USDA's Organic regulators let offenders slide; Study backs efforts to save Delta fish; Washington becomes 5th state to outlaw BPA; Global cooling is bunk: study; Does Health Care Affect The Climate Debate At All?; Oil Co. CEO says refiners won't invest if EPA regulates; Ford to save over $1 mil by turning off computers; EPA boosts chemical restrictions for water ... PLUS: The Best Argument Against Global Warming ...
Info/links on those stories and all the ones we talked about on today's episode follow below...
- IT'S WORLD WATER DAY:
- United Nations World Water Day (World Water Day.org)
- Of All The Water in the World, Just 0.08% Makes It To Our Faucets (Infographic) (Treehugger)
- Stand In Line (Joyfully) At The World's Longest Toilet Queue for World Water Day! (Video) (Treehugger)
- Waste Water Kills Millions Of Children, Pollutes Sea (Planet Ark)
- YOU CAN HELP: Charity:Water: Helping Haiti recover by providing long-term clean water solutions.: 100% of donations directly fund water projects in 11 areas in Haiti.
- HOW STUFF WORKS: WATER (How Stuff Works.com)
- The Story of Bottled Water: Fear, Manufactured Demand and a $10,000 Sandwich (Huffington Post Green):
- Remembering A Champion of Conservation: Stuart Udall, 1920-2010
- Stewart L. Udall, 90, Conservationist in Kennedy and Johnson Cabinets, Dies (NY Times)
- In His Own Words: Stuart Udall Interviewed by Bill Moyers (PBS Now With Bill Moyers, 11/14/2003)
- TWO MORE for the Record Books: Warmest, Driest, and Dust-Stormiest:
- Drought blankets Beijing in thick, yellow dust storm (RAW STORY)
- Massive China Sandstorm Seen from Space (Live Science)
- Sandstorms across China prompt health warnings (Globe and Mail)
- More than 50 million hit by drought in south of China
- Beijing: Onslaught of The Mongolian Cyclone (Time)
- Canada's warmest winter ever 'beyond shocking'; Season was balmiest, driest on record.: From the balmy Arctic, to the open water of the St. Lawrence and snowless western fields, this winter has been the warmest and driest in Canadian record books. (Calgary Herald)
- Canada: Early thaw strands trucks on winter roads (AFP)
- Yes, it's been the warmest Canadian winter on record (CBC)
- No Ban For Bluefin Tuna
- Extinction Countdown: Secret ballot kills hopes for bluefin tuna protections (Scientific American)
- Gone Fishin': Nations now free to fish bluefin tuna to extinction (Grist)
- U.S. Chamber of Commerce Grows Its Own Astroturf:
- U.S. Chamber of Commerce grows into a political force: A swelling tide of money could put the business group in a better position to sway elections. (LA Times)
- The new Capitalist Anarchy and the Lobbyist Bubble: 261,000 lobbyists signal death of 'invisible hand,' America's moral compass (MarketWatch)
- As Chamber Builds Up Political Operation, Treasury Officials Express Frustration With Group’s Distortions (Think Progress)
- SOURCE WATCH: U.S. Chamber of Commerce (Source Watch)
'GREEN NEWS EXTRA': More green news not covered in today's audio report...
- USDA's Organic Enforcers Let Offenders Slide, Audit Says (Greenwire)
- Study backs efforts to save delta fish (SF Gate)
- Washington becomes 5th state to outlaw bisphenol-A; other environmental bills also inked (The Olympian)
- Does Health Care Affect The Climate Debate At All? (The New Republic)
- Valero CEO says EPA rules will freeze investment (Reuters)
- Global cooling is bunk, draft NASA study finds (The Daily Climate)
- Ford to save over a million dollars by turning off computers (Gizmag)
- U.S. Bolsters Chemical Restrictions for Water (NY Times)
- The best argument against global warming (SF Gate)
. . . .
Oh, right. There isn't one.