IN TODAY'S RADIO REPORT: Another very bad week for the fossil fuel industry: explosion, spills, & toxic dumps! Girding up for the long haul in the Gulf ... PLUS: Will Democrats finally use the BP Oil Disaster to pass clean energy legislation? And will the GOP keep lying about it? ... All that and more in today's Green News Report!
IN 'GREEN NEWS EXTRA' (see links below): Murkowski's (R-AK) resolution is a step backward for American clean energy; EPA tightens Sulfur Dioxide limits; Scientists projects "Arctic death spiral"; Guilty verdicts in Bhopal tragedy that killed 15,000; Judge blocks Alaska's wolf-kill plan; Mystery crop damage threatens hundreds of acres; Renewables revolution to provide 95 per cent of global electricity by 2050...PLUS: Ten Things You Should Never Buy Again ...
STORIES DISCUSSED IN TODAY'S 'GREEN NEWS REPORT'...
- VOTER BEWARE: Sneaky Propositions on State Ballot in CA:
- PG&E Ballot Initiative Factsheet: Never Underestimate the Voter's Sense of Smell
- It's World Oceans Day! Not Much to Celebrate....
- BP oil spill heightens impact of World Oceans Day (USA Today)
- World Oceans Day clouded by oil spill: Disaster in Gulf spotlights importance and fragility of waters (MSNBC)
- Had Enough Yet?: MORE BP Spills, Gas Wells Exploding Across the Country, Oil Industry Subsidies Worldwide
- Smart Pig: BP's OTHER Spill this Week: 100,000 gallons of crude have spilled from Alaska's pipeline. "Procedures weren't properly implemented" is, it seems, BP's company motto. (Greg Palast)
- More oil problems: Spill shuts down trans-Alaska pipeline: A spill of that size — totaling more than 100,000 gallons — would be one of the largest ever for the 33-year-old pipeline. (McClatchy DC)
- Two More Gulf Spills?: Satillite images and photographs from the region indicate that there may be two other offshore drilling units leaking oil into the ocean. (Mother Jones)
- Another Gulf oil spill: Well near Deepwater Horizon has leaked since at least April 30 (Mobile Press-Register)
- BP Reports Hundreds of Thousands of Pounds of Toxic Emissions at Deadly Texas City Refinery: It's time for the corporate 'Death Penalty'... (The Brad Blog)
- IEA stunner: global subsidies to dirty energy top $550 billion a year (Grist)
- Another recent BP spill of 500,000 lbs of toxic chemicals at Texas plant where 15 people died in 2005. (Think Progress)
- 7 burned in W.Va. gas well blast likely to survive (AP)
- Shale Gas Well Blowout in PA Raises Specter of New BP: Energy Markets (Business Week)
- LATEST on BP OIL DISASTER in the GULF:
- Gulf oil spill: Undersea oil 'clouds' confirmed in spill zone (LA Times)
- Containment cap continuing to show promise, Thad Allen says (Times-Picayune)
- "The rig's on fire! I told you this was gonna happen!" Are you f***ing Happy?!?!" (Mother Jones)
- Adm. Allen: BP sucked Up 11,000 barrels of oil in last 24 hours (AFP)
- What the Spill Will Kill: Giant plumes of crude oil mixed with methane are sweeping the ocean depths with devastating consequences. ‘I’m not too worried about oil on the surface,’ says one scientist. ‘It’s the things we don’t see that worry me the most.’ (Newsweek)
- Thad Allen: Oil spill like 'insidious enemy' (Crooks and Liars Video Cafe):
- Years of Internal BP Probes Warned That Neglect Could Lead to Accidents (Pro Publica)
- Relief wells are last hope to stop oil leak: BP is drilling two relief wells to plug up the gusher at its source. The method is time-consuming, but it has worked before. (LA Times)
- BP well may be spewing 100,000 BARRELS a day, scientist says (McClatchy DC)
- Oil Threatens Gulf's Sargassum Grasses (Mother Jones)
- Put Jobless Young People to Work Cleaning Up BP’s Mess and Order BP to Pay (Robert Reich blog)
- AP IMPACT: Many Gulf federal judges have oil links (AP)
- Why Does BP Get to Keep the Oil? (Mother Jones)
- Rahall urges Justice Dept. to force BP royalty payments on gushing oil (The Hill)
- BP Buys 'Oil' Search Terms to Redirect Users to Official Company Website: BP Spokesman Acknowledges Purchase 'To Make It Easier for People to Find Out More About Our Efforts in the Gulf' and Other Ways to Help (ABC News)
- Drilling Rules Change May Harm Industry, Exxon Says (Business Week)
- Deep-water ban sending ripples through Houston: Energy companies worry delay puts jobs, projects in jeopardy (Houston Chronicle)
- Wife: Deepwater Horizon Crew Member Was So Worried About Safety, He Wrote His Will (Crooks And Liars)
- In Gulf, It Was Unclear Who Was in Charge of Rig (NY Times)
- OP-ED: Don’t Get Mad, Mr. President. Get Even. (Frank Rich, NY Times)
- Will Democrats Use BP Disaster to Pass Climate & Clean Energy Legislation?: ABC's This Week: Debate between Sen. John Kerry (D-MA) and Sen. John Cornyn (R-TX)
- And just for fun...:
- EPA Administrator Lisa Jackson: The Murkowski Resolution is A Step Backward for American Clean Energy (Huffington Post Green):
on June 10, the Senate will vote on legislation that would take us back to the same old failed policies and increase America's oil dependence by billions of barrels. Senator Lisa Murkowski, with strong support from big oil companies and their lobbyists, has proposed a resolution that would drastically weaken our nation's historic effort to increase fuel savings, save consumers money and cut oil consumption from American cars and trucks.
Senator Murkowski's resolution would take away EPA's ability to protect the health and welfare of Americans from greenhouse gas pollution. The resolution would ignore and override scientific findings and allow big oil companies, big refineries and others to continue to pollute without any oversight or consequence.
- E.P.A. Tightens Sulfur Dioxide Limits (NY Times)
- Arctic death spiral: Naval Postgrad School’s Maslowski “projects ice-free* fall by 2016 (+/- 3 yrs)”: But in the land of make-believe, Watts and Goddard say: "Arctic ice extent and thickness nearly identical to what it was 10 years ago." Some sea ice above Greenland and Eastern Canada may survive into the 2020s (as the inset in his figure shows), but the Arctic as it has been for apparently a million years will be gone.(Climate Progress)
- 7 guilty in Bhopal tragedy that killed 15,000: Executives get 2-year jail terms, $2,175 fines in connection with disaster (MSNBC)
- The Bhopal Verdict: Union Carbide Responds (Wall St. Journal)
- Federal judge blocks Alaska's wolf-kill plan (AP)
- Mystery Crop Damage Threatens Hundreds Of Acres (WREG-TV Memphis)
- Report: Renewables revolution to provide 95 per cent of global electricity by 2050: Greenpeace report argues rollout of existing renewable energy policies will allow world to decouple economic growth and carbon emissions (Business Green)
- Ten Things You Should Never Buy Again (Green America Today)
'GREEN NEWS EXTRA' (Stuff we didn't have time for in today's audio report)...