The GOP's ACORN
'Voter Fraud' Hoax
The seeds for this scam had been planted long ago. But by the GOP, not by ACORN. See our Special Coverage page of the GOP's "American Center for Voting Rights" front group, formed in early 2005 (just three days before they were called to testify to Congress on the '04 election) to begin the propaganda front for the 2008 election.
Also, see the Rosetta Stone for the modern day GOP "voter fraud" scam --- meant only to keep legal voters from being able to cast a vote at all --- in "Conservative Founding Father" Paul Weyrich's 1980 speech to 15,000 Baptist preachers in Dallas. The :40 second video is here, featuring Weyrich instructing his fellow rightwingers (including Ronald Reagan and Jerry Falwell, who were also there):
And then, right on schedule, in the days prior to the 2008 election, the GOP again hauled out their bogus ACORN "voter fraud" scam, as the latest battle in the ongoing "Republican War on Democracy".
Here are the most notable stories from that recently reignited scam...
10/7/08: 'Stunt' Raid at NV ACORN Office & the GOP ACORN Lie Revealed
10/8/08: RNC Issues Fox 'News' Transcript on ACORN 'Voter Fraud' as Press Release
10/9/08: GOP Election Official Claims ACORN 'Voter Fraud' in MO
10/9/08: GOP Sheriff Claims 'Voter Fraud' in Dem County in OH
10/12/08: FL's 'Voting-Rigging' Congressman Cries 'Voter Fraud' on Fox
10/12/08: 1.3 Million Reasons for the GOP 'Dixie-Chicking' of ACORN...
...And the FACTS to Counter It...
10/13/08: Brad at UK's Guardian - "The Republican Voter Fraud Hoax"
10/13/08: McCain Was ACORN's Keynote Speaker in 2006!
10/14/08: So Where's the ACORN 'Voter Fraud'? (Hint: It doesn't exist)
10/16/08: John McCain: 'One of the Greatest Frauds in Voter History'
He Should Know, As Even Some Republicans Begin to Back off the Lie
10/19/08: CA GOP Vote Registration Contractor Arrested for Registration Fraud, Perjury
10/21/08: GOP Charges of ACORN 'Voter Fraud' in NM Fall Apart
10/22/08: VIDEO: Colbert Declares GOP ACORN 'Voter Fraud' Hoax a National Joke
10/25/08: VIDEO: The Truth About ACORN
PLUS: Unprecedented Politicization from White House and DoJ...
10/31/08: VIDEO: 'Daily Show' Slams GOP's ACORN 'Voter Fraud' Scam
11/1/08: McCain Rep Admits 'Not a Single Instance of Voter Fraud'
1/29/09: GOP Investigation Finds Single Case of Voter Fraud in OH
America-Hating Republican Cowards Fail to Apologize
3/18/09: Officials Say Feds Inappropriately Involved in Nevada's Pre-Election ACORN 'Voter Fraud' Raid
6/17/09: Head of CA GOP Voter Registration Firm Pleads Guilty to Voter Registration Fraud
FLASHBACK VIDEO: Brad covers arrest with 'Fox News Alert' on FNC last October amidst phony ACORN brouhaha...
Getting the picture? Please click the links above to learn what you aren't being told about this story by the clueless corporate media.
Additionally strongly recommended reading:
- AlterNet: "California GOP had Same Voter Registration Problems as ACORN in 2006"
- Los Angeles Times: "Voters say they were duped into registering as Republicans"
- NYTimes: "In 5-Year DOJ Effoft, Scan Evidence of Voter Fraud"
- Lorraine Minnite, Columbia Univ: "The Politics of Voter Fraud" [PDF]
- U.S. Election Assistance Commission (EAC): Original, Unaltered Bi-Partisan Report on Voter Fraud in the U.S. (or Lack Thereof)
And what you're not hearing about because of the GOP's ACORN "voter fraud" hoax:
- U.S. PIRG, 9/24/08: "Vanishing Voters: Registered Voters Dropped From Rolls in Nineteen States"
- CBS News, 9/30/08: "Red Flag on Purging Voter Rolls"
- Brennan Center for Justice, 9/30/08: "Voter Purges:13 million voters in 39 states"
- New York Times, 10/8/08: "States' Actions to Block Voters Appear Illegal"
- BBC Newsnight, 10/8/08: "Vote rigging and suppression?"
- AlterNet, 10/14/08: "California GOP had Same Voter Registration Problems as ACORN in 2006"
- Rolling Stone, 10/17/08: "Block the Vote: the GOP's campaign to deter new voters and discard Democratic ballots"
- Washington Post, 10/18/08: "Thousands Face Mix-Ups In Voter Registrations: In New Databases, Many Are Wrongly Flagged as Ineligible"
- Los Angeles Times, 10/18/08: "Voters say they were duped into registering as Republicans"