Guest Blogged by John Gideon of VotersUnite.org
What is more important; verified accurate elections or results reported on election night? San Francisco election officials would have us believe election night reporting is the most important as they whine about how the decertification of their voting system will cause them to have to spend weeks counting the ballots; a clearly childish and false claim. Why isn’t the verified accurate count of our votes more important than election results being announced on election night or even the next morning?
The Secretary of State of Washington and the County Auditor’s Association argue against any audit of the votes counted on optical-scan machines. We are a vote-by-mail state so well over 70% of the ballots are all counted by optical-scan. I find it to be amazing that they would argue against ensuring every vote is counted correctly. The only reason they would make those arguments is cost or early results. Neither of those reasons should take precedence over my vote being counted accurately.
Those stories, and all of today's other notable voting news, linked below as usual...
- NAtional: What Congress Should Be Talking About
- NAtional: Response to ITIF Voting Report
- NAtional: Election Technology Council: ITIF Report Echoes Industry Concerns
- NAtional: Electronic Voting: If It Is Good Enough For Congress
- NAtional: How to Take Action on Holt and Fix Our Elections
- NAtional: Black Votes Suppressed Across the Country by Disenfranchising of Prisoners and Former Convicts
- CA: CA Secretary of State Debra Bowen Conference Call & Transcript
- CA: Riverside County, CA Board of Supes to Sequoia Voting Systems: 'Drop Dead'
- CA: San Francisco - S.F. election outcome won't be known for weeks
- CA: San Francisco - S.F.’s vote tally will come late
- CA: San Francisco - What's More Important: Accurate Elections Or Fast Results?
- CT: Fail-Safe Voting?
- GA: Voter ID system passes first test, officials say
- KS: Proposal requiring paper trail of all voting criticized
- NJ: Columnist - Our voting machines don't work. Who cares?
- NJ: Will your vote count?
- NV: Washoe County Reviewing Voting Machines
- NY: Glitches Hamper Some Vote Counts
- NY: NYS behind in compliance with federal voting law
- NY: Groups find fault with state's plan to comply with federal voting law
- OH: Elections board in Cleveland expands testing ahead of '08
- PA: Schuylkill County - Cost of voting rises
- TN: Anderson County - New election possible
- TN: Shelby County - Two front runners for Memphis Mayor react to Herenton's voting problems
- TN: Shelby County - Mayor cites irregularities with early voting machines
- TN: Shelby County - MELTDOWN '07: Diebold Touch-Screens Flipping in Memphis Mayoral Election
**"Daily Voting News" is meant as a comprehensive listing of reports each day concerning issues related to election and voting news around the country regardless of quality or political slant. Therefore, items listed in "Daily Voting News" may not reflect the opinions of VotersUnite.Org or BradBlog.Com**