Guest Blogged by John Gideon of VotersUnite.org
Today we have three articles about an amazing story of transparency in elections and what can happen when that transparency exists.
With the assistance of Registrar of Voters Carolyn Crnich, the Humboldt Co elections office partnered with local advocates to duplicate all paper ballots after they were originally counted. The images of those ballots were then put on line for research by the public. In conjunction with the “Humboldt Election Transparency Project” software was written that allowed researchers to recount the ballot images. This recount was just completed after the election was certified. The results of that recount were the discovery that a batch of 197 ballots that had been fed into the county’s Diebold optical scan machines were deleted after the totals were input on the GEMS software.
The county went back and checked and verified this problem. It then took the county several phone calls to Diebold/Premier to discover that the vendor knew about this problem and had known about it since 2004. It is reported that they neglected to notify the county and, according to one article, the state was never notified of this problem.
Carolyn Crnich and the advocates of Humboldt Co are to be congratulated for excellent work. Diebold/Premier, on the other hand, needs to be investigated for violations of the Help America Vote Act Section 301(a)(5) by the Dept. of Justice....
- CA: Humboldt County - Lost Votes on Diebold System Discovered by New 'Transparency Project' in CA
- CA: Humboldt County - County's certified election results wrong
- CA: Humboldt County - Software glitch yields inaccurate election results
- National: Lawmakers Target Individual Voters, While Failing to Address Systemic Problems
- MN: U.S. Senate recount results by county
- MN: Senate recount: Finish line is in sight
The Coleman-Franken race remained close, and the mystery over 133 ballots hasn't been solved.
- MN: Search for missing Minneapolis ballots finds some --- but not those ones
- NH: New Hampshire elections: A call to improve integrity and accountability
- NY: Loophole may allow villages to use old voting machines
- PA: Monroe County - Poll worker case referred to district attorney
- TX: Texas secretary of state, candidate weigh in on House District 105 lawsuit
- VA: Disenfranchising Our Military: Shameful Behavior of Virginia Board of Elections
**"Daily Voting News" is meant as a comprehensive listing of reports each day concerning issues related to election and voting news around the country regardless of quality or political slant. Therefore, items listed in "Daily Voting News" may not reflect the opinions of VotersUnite.Org or BradBlog.Com**