Guest Blogged by John Gideon of VotersUnite.org
Hillsborough Co Florida outgoing election chief, Buddy Johnson, wanted $2.3M from the county to cover election cost overruns from the Nov. election. Stupidly Johnson did not bother showing up to appear before the county supervisors so they could ask him questions. The supervisors took his no-show as an insult and they have deferred any decision until they can review the election office’s records.
Meanwhile the Maryland Board of Public Works has approved a contract between the state and Premier/Diebold for $974,000 for six months to cover municipal elections within the state. That contract could add up to $1.4M if two three month options are exercised. All of this even though the state is scrapping their paperless DREs at the end of next year in place of a paper based system.
And, after the reports of Diebold accuracy failures in Humboldt Co., California, the county has decided to scrap their present system and replace it with machines provided by Hart Intercivic. The selection of Hart is a bit strange in light of the fact that Hart has removed themselves from all EAC certification testing. They will not, in the future, have a voting system that has been tested to the voting system standards and certified by the EAC....
- CA: Humboldt County - Humboldt's False Alternative to Diebold
- CO: New election panel looking to end uncertainty
- FL: Case for ex-candidate faulting Broward County elections office still open
- FL: Broward County - Formal Charges Still Unfiled in Arrest of FL Election Integrity Advocate, Candidate
- FL: Hillsborough County - Hillsborough voting chief asks county for $2.3M
- FL: Hillsborough County - Elections Chief To Ask County For $2.3 Million
- FL: Hillsborough County - County Delays Decision On Giving Elections Office $2.3 Million
- IL: DuPage County - DuPage election panel's director holds patent to voting-aid technology purchased by county
- MD: Md. approves voting machine contract for 2009
- MD: Frederick County - State board to decide who will run '09 city elections
- MD: Frederick County - County elections board to reconsider dropping '09 city elections
- MN: Canvassing board encounters some 'very odd' challenged ballots
- MN: In a recount, count only the ballots
- OH: Montgomery County - Audit shows issues with area voting machines
A glitch brings up questions of reliability with electronic voting booths; problems didn't effect race outcomes.
- TX: Estes files voter ID legislation
- TX: Dallas County - Democrat Bob Romano won't contest House race lost by 19 votes
- VA: Attorney General Offers Proposals To Make Voting Easier, Laws Clearer
- VA: New Report: Virginia Has Eight-Fold Increase in Voter Registration at Public Assistance Agencies after Reforming Procedures
**"Daily Voting News" is meant as a comprehensive listing of reports each day concerning issues related to election and voting news around the country regardless of quality or political slant. Therefore, items listed in "Daily Voting News" may not reflect the opinions of VotersUnite.Org or BradBlog.Com**